Chapter 44

A trickle of sweat runs down the back of my neck. My arms ache and I'm breathing heavily. If 15 year old Jack can do this without knowing what's at the top then I should be able to do this knowing I can save my sister by completing this climb. I can see the clouds holding the giant's castle getting closer and closer. It gets windier the higher we get up and I'm starting to have second thoughts about the height. Chase and Nicholas don't seem to mind though so I bite back any complaints I would have voiced.

"How did you make this climb the first time!?" I yell up at Jack as the wind whips my hair around.

"I dunno, I just felt like I had to and once I was half way up, it felt too late to go back down!" he calls back.

Finally, I watch as my companions disappear one by one into the clouds. I hold my breath, for whatever reason, and lift myself through as well. Going through the soft clouds is surprisingly easy and I wonder how it supports us as we stand on it. I lay down on the soft white fluff for a much needed break and count to make sure all of us made it up safely.

"Everyone okay?" I ask, slightly out of breath from all the climbing.

"Yeah." Chase answers and Jack nods.

Nicholas looks up at the castle in a mixture of awe and fear. "So we really might see a giant."

"Let's hope not." I mumble as I make my way to the larger than life door. I can't reach the handle but with a rough push it swings open.

The light filtering in through the windows reveal small dust particles. I wonder how this place was even built in the first place. We wander into what I assume to be the kitchen filled with various cooking equipment, including a bread box labeled 'Human'. Everything is oversized but not as big as I was imagining. The counters are as tall as I am so I feel like a child, rather than the mouse I was picturing. A loud snore echoes around the room and seems to originate from a long hallway. I really hope we don't have to go in there.

"If I remember correctly, the golden eggs should be in there." Jack points to the exact hallway I didn't want to go in.

Haha, great.

"Now that we're actually here, we should make a plan," Chase starts. "There's three visible exit points, the door, the window, and the chimney." He gestures to the door, an open window too high to reach, and a fireplace with a chimney connected to it. "Obviously the door is our best bet since the chimney would be nearly impossible to climb and that widow can only be reached if you're able to get on that shelf underneath it." He points to a shelf almost low enough to reach from the kitchen counter.

"Alright, Jack, you don't have to come with us. The egg is not your responsibility." I reassure him.

"Yeah I wouldn't have helped even if you asked. You seem like nice people, but I only just met you." He shrugs and I hold back a laugh at his blunt answer.

"Right, all I ask is that you don't do anything that might wake up the giant or get in our way. Be safe and get ready to run if you need to," I warn and Jack nods in response. "Okay, I'm going in that hallway, if either of you are having second thoughts, voice them now."

"We're fine," Nicholas reassures.

"Yeah, you're the slowest runner, if anything you would get eaten first," Chase jokes.

"Gee thanks. Let's get a move on then," I sigh, looking at the hallway warily.

Nicholas notices my reluctance to go in and squeezes my hand. "It's going to be okay."

I don't say anything, I just nod and will my legs to move. Walking down the hallway feels like being in a horror movie. The suspense, the feeling that I'm not making progress, the terrifying snores. Yet when I reach the door I find myself wishing the hallway was even longer so I'd have more time. The bedroom door is ajar. I push it lightly and it lets out a small creak. I freeze, all my hair standing up but the snores continue steadily.

The giant's bedroom is a mess. Random objects are strewn about and in the corner sits a caged goose. It seems to be asleep, its head tucked under its wing. I look around the room and spot a golden egg on top of the dresser.

I dash across the room to the wardrobe. "Boost me," I whisper as quietly as I can while still being heard. Chase and Nicholas know exactly what to do. Nicholas uses his hands to boost me up so I can stand on Chase's shoulders. I pull myself onto the dresser and grab the egg. It's the same size as any other goose egg but very heavy. I slip it into the satchel Jack lent me then lower myself back onto Chase's shoulders. Nicholas helps me down. I'm slightly out of breath but triumphant.

This was so much easier than I thought it would be. A little too easy.

I begin walking to the door but I stop in front of the goose cage. It's awake now but not making a sound. It stares directly into my eyes, as if it's trying to communicate something.

Help me.

I shake my head. I'm jumping to conclusions, I probably misheard Chase or Nicholas say something. I turn to join them at the door but I don't make it a meter away before the goose lets out a meager honk. I freeze, my heart beating rapidly in my chest but the giant continues to snore. The goose is staring at me, trying to make eye contact.

Help me.

I definitely heard it that time. I keep my eyes trained on the goose but I take a small step backwards. The goose opens its mouth, as if it's warning me.

"What are you doing? We should get out of here," Chase whispers as loudly as he dares.

"I think the goose wants us to rescue it," I whisper back.

"Violet, we have the egg, we need to get out of here. Jack will take the bird some other time," Nicholas reminds me.

I take another small step back. The goose honks louder than last time but the snoring continues.

"Violet, on the count of three we're running, okay? The goose is not asking for help," Chase says.

"It'll wake up the giant!" I tell them, my voice rising a bit.

"One... two... three." I back away faster, still staring at the goose but rushing to the door.

HONK.

It's as if I'm no longer in control of my body. I run to the cage and unlatch the door. I grab the goose and sprint out of the room.

We reach the kitchen and pause, all out of breath, except for the goose. Jack runs up to us, he must have been hiding somewhere, waiting for us to come back. As we all catch our breath I notice that everything is quiet, almost peaceful. Only, quiet isn't a good thing.

"The snoring stopped! We have to get out of here!" I hiss. We all stumble towards the door, tripping over each other as the sound of footsteps begins small, at the other end of the hallway and slowly grows louder. In the commotion I drop the goose but I think it stays with the group. I'm not sure.

"Fee fi fo fum!" I hear a voice boom. I know not to look around, that's the dumbest thing people do in horror movies, but I'm outside my body. I'm watching the giant's shadow coming out from behind the wall. He's about to turn the corner and I'm frozen.

Then I feel Chase's strong hand reach out of seemingly nowhere and pull me into safety.