Chapter 10 -- A Misunderstanding

Caroline walked up to the school and heard the girls talking.
"I'm not saying don't date the guy. I'm just saying take it slow." Bonnie told Elena slight desperation showing on her normally calm face.
"You were the one who said to go for it." Elena complained tired of Bonnie's pestering about her new boyfriend.
"Now I'm saying take it slow." Bonnie stated in a matter of fact tone.

"Why the sudden change in agenda?" Elena prodded.
"It's not sudden. It's just you're single for the first time in your entire high school career. It's the perfect time to play the field. See what you like ya know?" Bonnie said obviously hinging something from the other. Caroline just watched on in interest.
"Oh, because I'm so that girl. Seriously, what are you not saying?" Elena started sarcastically but the tone changed to questioning half with through.
"It's stupid." Bonnie muttered under her breath embarrassed.
"Bonnie..." Elena dragged out with an accusatory tone.
"What?" Bonnie asked feigning confusion.
"Spit it out." The other finally said annoyed and at her wit's end.
"I accidentally touched Stefan. And I got a really bad feeling."
"Is that it?"
"It was bad bad!"
"Is this the whole witch mojo thing again?" Elena said seemingly treating Bonnie as a child.

"You know what? I'm just concerned. This is me expressing concern about my best friend's new boyfriend." At this point Bonnie took a deep breath out of exasperation.
"And I love you for it, I do. But I feel good. It's been a hard year, and I'm starting to kind of feel like things are getting back to normal again. And you know what? Stefan is a big part of that." After she finished her speech she saw Stefan and walked over to him to say hi.

Caroline finally walked over to the worked up Bonnie. Bonnie seemed very distressed so Caroline gave her a hug.
"What's wrong with you BonBon Cinnabon?"
"I touched Stefan and he felt like death. That's the only way I can describe it."

"Thats because he's a Vampire honey." Caroline whispered to Bonnie casually so Stefan wouldn't hear.
"The animal eater not the attacking animal." She comforted seeing Bonnie's visible surprise and it worked.
"Let's get to class." Caroline encouraged Bonnie and they left.

Later on the gang was in history class. Caroline was looking around as usual and saw Bonnie writing numbers in her book.  "8", "14", "22".

"World war II ended in...Anyone got anything? Miss Juan? 1945." Tanner asked and answered when he didn't get a response.
"Psst. FYI...Our team sucks. They could use you." Elena whispered luckily for the nosy members of the class and unluckily for her she's not great at whispering while she was in the coach's history lesson.

"Can't." Stefan responded and then was interrupted by Tanner.
"Pearl Harbor."
"I'm a loner." Stefan started again.
"Miss Gilbert?" Tanner asked Indicating that be wanted her to answer the question. Elena gave a question hum in response.
"Pearl Harbor?" Tanner repeated as if it was was obvious what he meant. Which it was but Elena wasn't paying attention.
"Um..." Elena didn't know the answer anyway and was stumped.
"December 7, 1941." Stefan answered for her not liking to see his new girlfriend struggle.
"Thank you, Miss Gilbert." Tanner replied to Stefan sarcastically but Stefan didn't care and just replied with, "Anytime."

"Very well." Tanner started again annoyed at the new student's attitude.
"The fall of the Berlin wall."
"1989. I'm good with dates, sir."
"Are you? How good?" This challenge incited a back and forth between the two men.
"Keep it to the year. Civil Rights Act."
"1964."
"John F. Kennedy assassination."
"1963."
"Martin Luther King."
"'68."
"Lincoln."
"1865."
"Roe vs. Wade."
"1973."
"Brown vs. Board."
"1954."
"The battle of Gettysburg."
"1863."
"Korean war."
"1950 to 1953."
"Ha! It ended in '52."
Caroline quietly cringed at her teacher's mistake feeling embarrassed and sorry for him.
"Uh, actually, sir, it was '53."
"Look it up, somebody. Quickly."
"It was 19...53." A random student answered and the class chucked. It wasn't obvious but Tanner was embarrassed. Caroline decided to put the attention on both Stefan and Tanner so the lesson wouldn't be led by a grumpy man-child.