Chapter 12 Pongal Festival

Dev was busy in his office with new projects and budgets as the year began, while Sarada was looking forward to celebrating the Pongal festival at their ancestral village. She desired that Anu be given the responsibility this year, as it will be Anu's first Pongal in their family. They used to stay there for a week and celebrate lavishly while her husband was alive. But everything changed when he died. Dev will never be present at the festival. Sarada decided to pay a visit to their village this year to celebrate with the newlyweds.

Pongal Festival (Pongal meaning "to boil" or "to overflow") is a traditional Indian festival in which an authentic dish is cooked in an earthen pot till it overflows. The auspicious ritual denotes abundance). The farmers celebrate the event to thank the Sun and the farm animals for their assistance in providing a successful harvest. The others celebrate to pay their thanks to the farmers for the production of food. It is a four-day-long festival. This festival is celebrated by one and all as it is non-relevance to any particular religious faith.

First, Dev refused to attend the festival, but later after knowing Mugil's participation, he joined them. They reached their village two days before the festival. It's customary for landlords to give new clothes and money to the maids and servants employed. In their ancestral farms, about a hundred employees were employed. Usually, Sarada gives new clothes and money during this festival to them. For the past few years, she sent a messenger to deal with this. This year she decided to hand over the gifts from Anu's hands. As there was still a lot of shopping to be done, Sarada requested Anu to accompany Mugil to the store. They were visiting a nearby City called Madurai.

When Anu and Mugil were about to start, Dev interrupted them,

"Can I join in because it's so boring here without any work?"

With a mischievous smile, Mugil responded, "You're extremely welcome."

Mugil was in the driver seat and Anu in the passenger one, so naturally, Dev has to sit in the back seat. He didn't like that idea.

That was a dumb choice for him.

"Can I drive, Mugil?" he asksed.

"Sure, Anu, let me take in the sights. C'mon, let us go back, you want to join?" - Mugil had planned a scheme to annoy Dev.

Sensing his intention, Anu played along.

"Why not, wait, let me come." - When she was about to open the door, Dev grabbed her hand.

"I am not a driver for you guys, sit here." - he ordered Anu.

Mugil grinned and went back.

"Why can't he tell, that he wants to sit with his wife." - he thought to himself.

They reached Madurai city in two hours. They went to a grand textile showroom and collected the clothes which Sarada already ordered. Sarada told them to get some new dresses for them for the festival. As it is a festival, they decided to get traditional attire for all. Anu bought a beautiful saree for Sarada, and she decided to get a lehenga choli for her. The salesman was assisting Anu by displaying various models and helping her in making a decision. Dev and Mugil were talking with the manager of the shop.

Dev watched her reflection in the mirror from the backside. She was keeping each choli on her and checking out. Like giving his opinion, Dev shook his head to express his dislike. After checking his action, she kept different ones, but Dev didn't like any of them. At last, he nodded his head for a blue and peacock green embroidered velvet and silk Lehenga Choli (a kind of Indian traditional dress). Mugil was observing their little silent conversation.