Chapter 14 Emotional Farewell

It all happened like a dream. Sarada would have known about her fate, which is why she insisted that Anu stay with them. Anu was crying badly, and her parents mourned along with her.

Sarada's mortal was kept at their mansion for the public to pay their last respects. As she was a philanthropist and did so many social services, thousands of people queued up to have a last glimpse of their beloved woman. All their company employees, including, Riya paid their homage.

As the death was unanticipated, Dev cannot come out of the shock. He became dumb and sat in a corner, and not even a single drop of tear came from his eyes. He was in a panic attack. He already experienced this when his father was dead. But the time healed him. Sarada's death has driven him to the point where he can no longer be saved by anybody other than Anu.

Mugil was sobbing uncontrollably and unable to go anywhere after the incident. He was worried about his friend, who not even shed a drop of tear.

"It's okay to be sad; Don't bottle up your emotions; let them out., Dev." - Mugil consoled and pulled him into his arms.

Anu was grieving in a corner. Anu's presence, as well as the presence of her parents, including her brother Arjun, astonished Riya. She got confused. Sensing her quizzical look,

"I will explain it later." - Anu confirmed Riya.

Dev carried out the last rites, and Sarada was buried in their private garden with an emotional farewell from thousands of tearful mourners.

The mansion was not like before, and Riya stayed with Anu for a week. Anu had previously told her everything and apologized for keeping her marriage a secret. Riya didn't take it to heart.

Anyone can show up when you are happy. But only a true friend would stay by your side when your heart falls apart. Riya is a true friend to Anu, who gave a shoulder for her to cry.

As the final exams approached, Anu joined back the college after a week of leave. She was appearing for her exams.

On the other hand, Dev roamed like a walking corpse. He didn't return home some days and stayed back in the office. When he was home, he locked inside his mother's room. Anu was very much worried about his health. She requested Mugil to take care of him and sent meals then and there.

Mugil cannot come out of his guilty conscience. But someone has to be in action; hence he filled the gap for Dev. Riya noticed this. Mugil used to be energetic in the office, but his face has become lifeless in recent days.

"Hello Sir." - she greeted.

"How many times I have to tell you? Call me Mugil." - he said.

"Okay, I am sorry for your state, but I heard everything from Anu, none of which is your fault. First, come out of this guilt. Our Boss needs you. If you are also like this, it may affect our company." - she said with a weak smile.

"So you are worried about the company and its fortune but not about me?" - he questioned.

"Both" - she shook her head.

Later they talked for a while, and Riya can feel the depth of his interest in her. Riya didn't trust Anu when she told her this. But now, she was aware of it. "He is more than my liking." - she thought.

Dev's friend Reena visited him out of courtesy at their mansion. It was a weekend. She eyed Anu, who was busy managing the daily activities. Her suspect increased. She always had an eye for Dev. Sarada, on the other hand, would not let her approach Dev when she was alive. That is why, while on her trip, she paid a visit to their home. As she was no more, she planned to mark her territory.

But something about Anu disturbed her. After seeing the respect given by the workers, she guessed her importance. "Before she could take make an advance, I should plan something." - she thought to herself.

After visiting their house, Reena started scheming an evil plan. She arranged for a press meet and addressed on behalf of Dev. She introduced herself as Dev's fiancée and gave information on Sarada. Her interview became a social media sensation. Her fans wished her happiness. Greetings came from all corners of the world.

"They are so sweet together."

"She is very considerate."

"Made for each other."

"Perfect pair." - like this, her followers posted their remarks.

No one doubted Reena as Dev and Anu's marriage was kept hidden. Also, they had been spotted together on many occasions. Many greeted Dev over the phone. He told Mugil to block her social media accounts permanently. Though Mugil insisted Dev give a reply to her statement, he rejected his idea. He didn't respond since he was already upset and ignorant of what was going on around him.

All of Reena's social accounts were blocked overnight. Anu is not active on social networking sites. Riya saw the post and informed Anu. Anu cannot think straight. She doesn't know how to react. Though Anu was not sure whether Dev would declare their marriage in public, she firmly believed that Dev would refuse Reena's claim and give an open statement. But his silence pained her.

"What can I do if Reena's statement is true? Are they already engaged? Is that why Dev rejected me? If Dev doesn't have any feelings for her, why is he silent? Then there must be something?" - like this, a myriad of questions arose in her mind.