Chapter 15 Misunderstanding

After few days of gossiping, there were no comments about Reena and Dev. Mugil informed Dev that he personally threatened Reena to stop her evil plans. Dev believed the problem had been resolved. For the past few days, he was not in his self. Mugil advised him to recover from the past and asked him to start a new life with Anu. Dev also felt his words make sense. Dev slowly recovered from his trauma. He decided to declare their marriage in public. Sarada wished only happiness for him. "I should fulfill my mother's desires." - he reasoned to himself. A smile appeared on his lips as he remembered Anu. When he began to develop feelings for her, a slew of events occurred, and they were back to square one. "We should get to know each other first." - he pondered. With these thoughts, he decided to return home earlier that day.

When he returned home, he got angry when he saw his Uncle, who betrayed them in the past. It was the sixteenth day from Sarada's death, and Anu organized a "Kariyam." (It is a Tamil word denoting death prayer, which is held on the 16th day of the death to bid farewell to the Soul of that person to heaven)

During the mourning period of sixteen days, Anu strictly followed the restrictions like refraining from cutting their fingernails, combing their hair, wearing jewelry or shoes, reading a sacred text, and going to temples. Anu cooked Sarada's favourite items and offered them in front of a large framed portrait of her. She decorated the portrait with rose garland and bought a beautiful saree for her. Dev had to perform some rituals as her son, but he didn't believe in them when Mugil asked him to come a week ago. Considering his reluctance, Dev and Anu arranged the ceremony by themselves. As a part of the ceremony, cooked rice balls were offered to the immediate three forefathers. It is a ritual to invite relatives, and they will bring dress materials and sweets as an offering. There is a Tamil saying, "Even if we can't attend a function, it is important to attend a death ceremony." - Sarada's relatives forget their indifference and attended the 16th-day ceremony. Almost most of them left the house when Dev arrived except for that Uncle.

"How dare you enter my house." - he screamed.

That man stood speechless. He didn't imagine Dev is still cold towards him. Anu rushed towards Dev and explained.

"It's a ritual; we have to follow, don't take it wrong."

"Fine, ritual means, do it alone, why you invited these cunning people?" - he shouted.

Without knowing how to answer, Anu stood still. Dev saw the items that his uncle brought with him. His anger reached his peak, and he kicked the plates and shouted at Anu.

"Who gave you the rights to do all this stuff?" - saying that he left the house.

Anu stood helpless. It is compulsory in the Hindu religion to conduct a death prayer on the sixteenth day. Though Anu asked Mugil to inform their family circle, she didn't insist to invite anyone in particular. Already Anu was disturbed by Reena's press meet, and now Dev's anger worried her. She embraced herself and cleaned the house, and took bath to finish the ritual.

Sitting in a bar, Dev felt sorry for shouting at Anu. He never thought to shout on her face. But when he saw that man's face, he cannot control his anger. After hours of the inner debate, he returned home.

When he returned, only one maid was waiting for him. She waited for him to return.

"Sir, you want to have your dinner." - the maid asked politely.

Anu used to ask this question, whenever he returns. But the dead silence in the house confused him.

"Where is Anu?" - he questioned.

"Madam went somewhere. She instructed me to serve dinner for you when you return."

"Okay, you can go home. I can manage." - he dismissed the maid.

"Where she would have been?" - With these thoughts, he went to his bedroom.

There was a letter on the table with a jewel box over it. He opened it to see the box full of jewels given by Sarada to Anu. With shaking hands, he took the letter.

Dear Sir/Dev,

I'm not sure how I should address you. Many times I wished that I can call you Dev, but I was scared about your reaction. I stated earlier that I'll only leave this house if Auntie says so. She is, however, no longer with us. She is the saviour of my life. When our family was down in a fall, she was the one who saved my father's life. I thought I was indebted to her. So when she asked to marry you, I readily agreed; No other motive. But you always misunderstood me. I thought I could earn your love gradually. I was wrong. For you, I'll never be good enough. That made sense to me. I slowly learned that you cannot love me back, how much I love you. Some people aren't meant to be in a relationship. I'm aware that you've been trapped by our marriage. So I decided to let you free. I wish you the best. You and Reena are a perfect match. Auntie always wished you happiness. As our marriage is registered, we have to divorce before you marry Reena. I will sign the papers when you send them. Take care. It's not good for your health if you miss meals. Please, don't skip your meals.

Yours,

Country bumpkin