Chapter 24 Fire Accident

Anu was busy cleaning the house. Though many maids were there, she felt everything unordered. She bought a big rose garland and adorned the portrait of Sarada. She knelt and thanked her from the bottom of her heart for the life she is having now. She prepared the dinner all by herself with Dev's favourite items.

Dev used to return late but came early that day. He insisted Anu sit beside him for dinner. When they both started eating, his mobile phone vibrated. It was a call from Mugil. Dev ignored and started eating. After 2 or 3 missed calls, Mugil called Anu's number.

"This must be important; he won't disturb without a reason," saying that Anu answered the call.

"Anu, give the phone to Dev; It's urgent," Mugil screamed at the other end.

Understanding the tension, Anu quickly handed over the mobile. Dev's reactions changed after hearing something. Anu, who was observing the change in his expression, was befuddled.

"Okay, I am coming immediately; you wait there," saying that Dev rushed inside to change his dress.

Before leaving, he came near Anu and pecked her forehead.

"Anu, there is a fire accident in the warehouse; I have to go. You finish your dinner and sleep. It will take time for me to return," he said by gazing at her adoringly.

When Dev was putting on his shoes, Anu rushed inside the kitchen and brought a box of cookies.

"You have not finished your meal; you may feel hungry; share this with mugil," saying that she handed over the pack.

Dev was happy to see her considerate attitude. He patted her head fondly and took the pack with him.

Contrarily, Anu was feeling bad about her fortune. She was cursing her bad luck for losing Sarada, and now this fire accident. She was not in a mood to eat. She cleared up everything and rested her head on the dining table.

Though it was a severe fire accident, luckily, the employees were safe, except for few burns. After receiving the news, Mugil was on the spot the next moment. When Dev reached there, almost the fire was under control. They felt the accident was a planned attempt, as the safety measures were well intact.

After finishing all the formalities, Dev reached around half-past two-midnight. He opened the house with the spare key, and he was shocked to see Anu sleeping on the table.

After waiting for Dev for a long time, Anu slept by resting her head on the table itself. Dev gently carried her inside and laid her on the bed.

When the early morning rays entered the room, Anu opened her eyes to find herself in the arms of Dev. She can't remember anything. The last thing she remembers was she sleeping on the table. "He might have carried me inside," she thought to herself.

He was sleeping peacefully with his silky hair falling on his forehead. Anu always thought of ruffling it. She smiled at his sleeping face, and like getting a chance, she ruffled his hair and was about to get off the bed. Dev suddenly grabbed her hand and pinned her below him. Anu, who was not used to such kind of intimacy, hid her face on his chest. "How cute. she's shy!" he thought to himself.

To change the topic, she inquired.

"How is the situation there?"

"Leave that, " saying that, Dev smiled evilly and kissed her gently on the cheek.

"What's wrong? Why your heart is beating fast? Even I can hear," he started teasing her.

"I'm not used to it," Anu whispered. She didn't dare to look him in the eye.

"I know. But when will you get used to this? Don't keep me waiting long!" Dev said with eyes full of love.

"I can understand, just give me some time," Anu said nervously. Before he could answer, she pushed him away and ran to the bathroom. Anu took more time than ever. After finishing her chores, she stealthily peeped her head outside and was relaxed to see Dev sleeping soundly. Still, she didn't know how to get along with him. As he came very late, he was damn tired. Taking that as a cue, she rushed to the kitchen.

Anu started preparing breakfast along with the maids. When Dev got up from the bed, Anu was getting herself busy in the kitchen. He descended the stairs. Breakfast was wafting through the air. The house had become a lot more lively.

"Good morning, Anu." he greeted.

"Morning, come, breakfast is ready."

"Sit beside me, Anu."

They both ate together, and Dev was digging his plate-like eating after a week. He didn't want to leave Anu, but his presence was needed in the office following the fire. Already he was getting continuous calls from the insurance and police department.

"Be ready, Anu; we can go somewhere in the evening," he fondly kissed her forehead and went to the office.

The police department was investigating the case. It was clear that it was an attempt accident. Being in a business circle, Dev has many enemies. He has no reason to suspect anyone. The police investigation was ongoing. They were able to collect some evidence on the scene. They spotted a van with Karnataka( a state in India)

registration standing for a long time near the warehouse from a security camera fixed in a nearby Gas station. Getting that as a hint, they started the investigation. That evening Dev can't make it up for Anu. Though both knew the current situation, they felt bad. Police strictly advised them not to go outside unnecessarily.

The next few days were hectic for Dev, the police inquiry and all. Despite getting some insurance claims, it was a heavy loss. And Anu's presence was his only solace. Though they didn't have so much time together, Dev felt at home with her. Everything appeared to be in order. They did, however, get close. In bed, they cuddled. Dev treated her like a teddy bear. Occasionally he kissed her on her forehead, Cheeks, and earlobes, nothing more than those quick pecks. Anu also started feeling comfortable with his presence. Earlier, she used to scare when he was around her. Little by little, Dev is earning a place in her heart.