Giving and Giving and Giving

June 2nd, 1996.
Grimmauld Place, London.
___________

Everybody was annoying her. Continuously apologizing, cracking jokes, asking if she was alright... She wanted to scream and hit someone but... She stayed still as the voices circled around her.

Professor McGonagall was the only one who understood that Elena needed the quiet to defuse the anger. She kept quiet, holding onto Elena's hand tightly as if she was afraid to let her go.

Kingsley walked into Grimmauld Place first, followed by a hyper Tonks, who kept talking in Elena's ear, even though she wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention. Arthur Weasley had remained in the Ministry, returning to his job he had managed to slink away from to watch Elena's trial.

Remus was the last inside, shutting the door and securing the wards on the building again.

Grimmauld Place looked the same. Same as it had been two days ago- a different lifetime ago, when she hadn't known how painful living could be. The gas lanterns in the entering hallway were lit and perhaps, there was even a window open to let in sunlight.

There was no sign of Sirius or Harry, thankfully.

Elena couldn't bear to see them right now. She had gone through hell and back just to make sure Sirius lived, she had sacrificed herself in his place and the Order... They had let her die. Had they even tried?

They entered the drawing room, where three nights ago, it resembled a karaoke bar. Now, it was brightly lit but missing the entertainment and light-hearted mood.

On the coffee table, Elena's bag was there. All of her belongings, including the pictures she treasured more than anything were there too. All of her clothes were freshly washed, pressed and folded neatly- once again, Remus's work.

"Welcome home!" Remus exclaimed, coming in front of Elena. She shook off McGonagall's touch and stared at her godfather without a single trace of the happy girl who had been running around with her cat and brother just three days ago.

Elena felt something cross between her feet and she jumped back. At her feet was Fish, meowing and licking her stockings. Elena bent down and scooped her friend into her arms but the sudden rush of coming back up shook the room and she took a few steadying breaths.

Fish let herself be cradled in Elena's arms like a baby and Elena pet Fish's face softly, running through the soft fur. "I missed you," She whispered, letting Fish play with her fingers.

Elena looked up as Remus cleared his throat. Standing behind him in the threshold, was Mad-eye Moody, who for a moment didn't seem as emotionless as usual. His mechanical eye spun wildly as it took in the injuries and bruises on Elena.

Whatever small smile Elena had on her lips vanished within the second. She wanted to hit Moody and beat him how she had been beaten. Maybe then they would relate to one another. Maybe then he would regret his choice to leave her in the cell.

"Nice to see you're alive." Moody gruffed. Wrong words to say to Elena.

Her hands began to tremble too much to carry the heavy weight of her fat cat and she set Fish down, who scurried off after a spider she had seen.

Everyone in the room was waiting for the bomb to explode and Elena could feel the seething rage come back up to the surface.

"No thanks to any of you," Elena said calmly. She might not have died physically last night but... something inside of her had.

The room stilled. Nobody dared to breathe. Elena was treading on dangerous water and Moody was trying to diminish a living Saint. It wouldn't end well either way.