🏮8. Miraculous Medicine

Amber pulled Nova into her little room as quietly as possible, she wasn't ready to draw attention to herself yet. She sat her backpack down on the floor and the little fox jumped out and onto her bed, laying down contentedly. Nova walked over to the fox and started to pet it while it made an odd purring noise.

Amber glanced at them and sighed, wondering if she was going to end up with a weird menagerie of subordinates. She pulled out the jar of mana soaked herbs and started ripping and crushing them into an unrecognizable paste.

The pure mana made the properties of anything mana related stronger. So mixing healing herbs with it made the healing properties more intense. She was doing it this way so that she can hide the pure mana. There was no need to draw too much attention to herself yet.

As she was crushing the leaves, she happened to glance up at the mirror and see a stunning beauty looking back at her. The horrible rash on her face had disappeared and her complexion was glowing. She touched her perfectly smooth and soft skin with awe.

Although she was incredibly happy, she wasn't ready for this development to become public knowledge yet. It would likely bring her a lot of hassle. Not to mention increase the difficulty of ditching that garbage fiance of hers.

She walked over and rubbed some of the paste onto Nova's neck. After a few minutes of rubbing the paste in, it soaked into her skin and the fingerprint bruises disappeared.

Nova looked at her in confusion, but she held perfectly still so that she wouldn't offend her new master. Her skin stung a bit though.

Amber looked at Nova's neck with satisfaction. There were only a few little bits of leaves left and the bruises had disappeared.

Amber grabbed Nova's hand and put a blob of it on her palm. Nova looked down at her hand with confusion on her face.

"Rub that all over your injuries, it's medicine."

Nova raised an eyebrow and then looked at the green blob in doubt, but nevertheless she obediently followed Amber's directives. After Nova massaged in a small amount on a bruise, it oddly soaked into her skin, only leaving little bits of leaves behind.

Nova's eyes widened in shock and quickly looked up at Amber trying to hand the miraculous medicine back to her. The bruise that had been so stubborn in leaving had disappeared so suddenly.

Amber pushed Nova's hand back to her. "I have more, quickly use what I've given you to get rid of your remaining injuries. Nova looked into her face with wide eyes that threatened to spill over with tears.

"Quickly now. After you're done, you can lay down and rest. I have to go back to the market and then I'll bring back something yummy to eat. You stay in here and don't open the door for anyone." Amber put the remaining mixture back in the jar and put it in her backpack along with an old hair accessory that she'd found in the bottom of the trunk.

Nova shook her head yes while Amber was pulling the large wooden vanity in front of the door. She stood back from it with a satisfied look on her face and then pushed the chest underneath the window and climbed out. The little fox stood up on the bed and was about to follow her, but she told it to stay and keep an eye on Nova. Its little eyes squinted in apparent frustration, but it sat down in a huff and obeyed.

She felt strange giving orders to a fox, but it was listening. What was she to do?

Amber walked up the path and headed back to the market. Night was descending and shadows were eerily stretching across the ground. She made a note to herself to not forget to pick up some source of light while she was out.

She didn't see the orange haired elf standing in the shadows. Although to be fair, he did have a hood covering his hair. He had a sinister smile on his face as he waited for her to pass. He walked back up the path where she had come from.

Amber walked back to the market, but at this time the vendors from the day were packing up. There were tons of little lights floating above the clearing like fireflies or stars.

Four small stages were being set out on the different corners of the clearing and people were coming around with chairs, waiting for the auctions to begin. Most everyone was wearing a hooded cloak and so she didn't feel entirely out of place, but it was a bit disconcerting.

She walked over to one of the regular stalls and traded her hair accessory for some little wooden jars with lids. She walked over to an empty corner and quickly put the paste into the little jars.

Amber walked over to an auction stand that had a sign stating that they were selling rare herbs and tonics. There was a young man hurriedly setting up their tables on the stand. While an old man with a long white beard and beady brown eyes was standing with his walking stick. He was glaring at the young man while watching him closely.

Amber walked up to the old man and tapped his shoulder.

"What?!" The old man yelled while turning his craggy face towards Amber.

At the sound of the man's yell, the young man jumped, knocking a table over. The old man's face turned red in anger as he whipped his face around. "What's wrong with you?! You're lucky that there wasn't something sitting on that table. Do you have any idea of how much the things I sell here are worth?"

The man bowed his head down low. "I won't let it happen again," he said.

"See that you don't!"

The old man turned his face back towards Amber with a displeased look on his face and suspicion in his eyes. "What do you want?" he said.