viii. boards up

'Hey, Maelynn. Wake up.'

She groaned and covered her head in blankets. 'No. I'm tired.'

'I'm going to see John B.'

'Why?'

Sarah rolled her eyes and uncovered her twin. 'Because, despite all of the time you've been spending with them, he still thinks I ratted him out.'

Maelynn winced. 'I tried, but we were interrupted.'

'Right. Well, I'm bringing him skinny pop and then going out. You coming with?'

'I'm going to see if JJ is going to be there. Give me a minute.'

maelynn <3
yo r u with jb

jj
nah
helping pope and heyward with groceries

maelynn <3
k good
i want to sleep

jj
???

maelynn <3
ill explain later
c u

jj
kk
peace out

She rolled back over to face Sarah. 'JJ's not there, so I think I'll stay sleeping. Be safe. Have fun.'

Sarah rolled her eyes and hoisted her shoulder bag up higher. 'You know, someone's going to figure out about JJ soon, and it's not going to be pretty.'

'Yeah, I know.'

'Be careful, okay? Know your audience, and keep some distance.'

'Sarah-'

'Look, we've both heard about what he's like, right?' Sarah asked. '"No pogue-on-pogue macking?"'

'We talked about that yesterday,' Maelynn rolled her eyes. 'And we haven't even kissed. He just thinks I'm cool.'

'Because you are, Maelynn. But you deserve a respectful boy, one who will stay loyal no matter what.'

Maelynn sat up. 'Like who? Like a kook boy? Because I can promise you JJ is more loyal and respectful than ninety-percent of them.'

'Right.'

'Look, S, you don't have to believe me, but at least trust me a little bit to make my own decisions.'

'I do!'

'You're not acting like it.'

Sarah sighed and laid down next to Maelynn. 'I trust you, M. I just don't want someone like Rafe to find out and start beating the shit out of your boyfriend in front of you.'

'I get it.'

'I almost slept with Topper last night.'

Maelynn turned to face her twin. There was a forlorn expression on her face, hinting to something having gone wrong. 'What happened?'

'I was, like, totally ready and everything. I told him, we were making out and then,' she snapped her fingers, 'it was gone. Just like that. I didn't want to anymore.'

'Oh, Sarah.'

'He got all huffy and stormed off. I heard he went and did some coke with Rafe.'

'What?!'

'Oh, yeah. Our brother does coke. And deals it now.'

Maelynn covered her eyes with her hands. 'It's too early for my brain to comprehend this. What the actual fuck?'

'I know, right? Anyway, so I'm still a virgin.'

'Virginity rocks.'

Sarah fist-bumped Maelynn. 'Virginity rocks.'