Chapter 2: True Evil (part 3)

Jungwoo noticed Grace fiddling with the ring on her finger, and it was starting to bother him

Jungwoo noticed Grace fiddling with the ring on her finger, and it was starting to bother him. He was mortified that it would slip off and she would lose it, the item being her new vare and also a sign of their commitment to each other.

He tried to hold it in as long as he could but when it finally slipped off and he caught it in his hands, it was enough. "What are you doing?"

"Sorry, I'm just nervous. What if we don't find them?" Grace asked but Jungwoo saw more than that.

"This is your engagement ring, Grace." Jungwoo said, anger beginning to bubble. "It's a sign that you are going to commit your life to someone else, can you be more careful please?"

"I'm sorry." Grace said, letting Jungwoo take her hand and slide the ring back on. Once it was in place, Jungwoo felt a little more relieved until Grace spoke again. "You know, engagements just don't feel that special anymore."

"What do you mean?" Jungwoo asked, looking down at the girl beside her. Grace shrugged, beginning to walk but Jungwoo refused to follow.

Grace noticed this, turning around. Her eyes were squinting from the bright fires around Feu, but they were staring into his. "I don't know. It feels like I've been engaged more than not, so it doesn't feel like such a big thing anymore."

"Okay great." Jungwoo said, trying not to let his emotions get the best of him but judging by the tone of his voice, it was anything but that. "So the fact that we're engaged means nothing to you."

"No, that's not it." Grace said, and her hesitancy showed that she was carefully choosing her words "You know I love you, Jungwoo. Nothing will change that."

"Okay so what is it? Is it the fact that I didn't propose to you properly because if it is, just know that it wasn't my fault that someone was reckless and almost got themselves killed." Jungwoo blabbered out, barely thinking before speaking.

"Are you serious right now?" Grace exclaimed, a lot louder than she had ever been before. Jungwoo was tempted to back away but he stood his ground. "No, that's not it and you know it. Gosh, why must you be so sensitive right now?"

"Sensitive?" Jungwoo choked out, astonished that the word had come out of Grace's mouth. "I just care about you and wanted you to be safe, but now you're calling me sensitive?!"

Jungwoo watched as Grace blinked away tears before doing the same, neither of them able to control their emotions. What's wrong with you, why are you holding back your true thoughts from her?

"Jungwoo, I don't want to talk about this right now." Grace said dryly, turning away from him. "We have two other people to find and I can't have this clogging my thoughts."

"Right, your best friend and your original fiancé." Jungwoo mumbled as he walked alongside her, bitterness in his voice.

If she heard him, she didn't show it, continuing as if nothing was wrong. That was a sign that Jungwoo had hit a sore spot and he didn't know whether he should be proud or ashamed of it.