XLI.

☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎︎☀︎︎☁︎

『3』

"Five years ago I had a heart attack, I dropped right in the middle of my backswing...it turned out it was the best round of my life because, after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass. I found something 40 years in the army never taught...perspective."

Thea gagged at Secretary Thaddeus Ross's words earning a nudge from Natasha and by nudge, I mean a kick to the ankle.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt, you have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives...but while a great many people see you as heroes there are some who would prefer the word, vigilantes."

"And what words would you use Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of U.S. Based enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind..." Secretary Ross began a visual presentation of the events of the Avengers.

"New York." The screen began footage of the 2012 battle the team faced against Loki but presented most of the damage caused by the Hulk.

"Washington, DC." The clip showed the falling Helicarriers crashing into the water with of course citizens screaming.

"Sokovia." This clip showed the rising city and the collapsing buildings.

"Lagos." Which showed the smoking building and ambulances.

"We've seen enough, you can shut it off," Thea says bluntly as she saw it causing multiple replays of guilt across the room, especially with the Maximoff.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate, but I think we have a solution." Thaddeus is then handed a booklet which is passed around to everyone else.

"The Sokovia Accords, approved by 117 countries, states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization instead they'll operate under the supervision of a united nations panel only when and if that panel deems it necessary." Thea didn't even bother looking through it and passed it on to the next person.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place, I feel we've done that," Steve stated.

"Tell me, captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30-megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences."

"Compromise, reassurance, that's how the world works, believe me, this is the middle ground."

"So there are contingencies..." Rhodey said.

"Three days from now the U.N. meets in Vienna to ratify the accords."

"We'll talk it over," Tony said as the Secretary was on his way out.