13- The Accords

A Month Later.

"11 wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred".

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil" King T'Chaka says, the press conference airing him "Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those who pledge to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent, is no victory at all".

Steve shut off the TV and sighed. He furrowed his brows slightly once he heard the sound of another news channel playing down the hallway.

Nadia sits on her bed watching the news throughly list their opinions on her. The guilt from what happened stung her heart continuously.

'What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Nadia Maximoff have, to operate in Nigeri-"

The TV is suddenly turned off. Steve puts the remote down and leans against her doorframe.

Nadia looked down "It's my fault."

"That's not true".

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific" Nadia says, turning to look at him with sadness.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky' and...suddenly I was a sixteen year old kid again in Brooklyn" Steve says, walking over to her and sitting down beside her "And people died...it's on me".

Nadia shakes her head slightly "It's on both of us" Turning her gaze to look straight ahead of her "Though you shouldn't blame yourself at all".

"And neither should you" Steve quips back.

The young girl shakes her head "No, what happened was my fault. What you did, I won't blame you. Bucky is your best friend, and you've been looking for him for almost three years. If I was in your position, I would've reacted the same way; probably worse".

Steve sighs "This job...we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody" He turned to look at her "But if we can't find a way to live with that, the next time...maybe nobody gets saved".

Nadia stares at her mentor's expression, tears building up in her eyes "I'm sorry, Steve.."

"Dee..." Steve mumbled, pulling her in and resting her head on his shoulder while resting his arm over her.

They stay like that for a while, Nadia trying to hold back her tears on Steve's shoulder, and him trying to sooth her.

Their small moment was then cut to an end when Vision walks through the wall and into Nadia's room.

Nadia sighed, wiping her tears "Vis, we talked about this".

"Yes but the door was opened so I assumed that.." Vision tries to explain, but gives up "Captain Rogers wished to know Mr.Stark was arriving".

Steve sighs and nods "Thank you, we'll be right down". Vision nods "I'll..use the door."

"Oh" Vision stopped and turned back around "And apparently he's brought a guest".