Chapter 15

Everything is happening too fast.

Cassie barely remembers that night Brandon came knocking at her door, telling her he wants to make things right. She couldn't even blame her hormones when she bursts out crying because she's just genuinely happy he wants to be a part of the kid's life. But when he said, "Marry me." her whole world halts. She reached out and touched Brandon's hand, shaking her head. "Y-you don't need to do this, we don't have to get married." she murmurs after recovering from shock.

Brandon didn't even bat an eye, he just sighs and squeezed her hand. "I want to try to make things work for the kid, not for us. IF IT were up to me we wouldn't be talking but the child deserves a functioning family." When he says this, Cassie recalls Skyler saying the same thing and her heart aches, guilt flooding her. This was her fault. No it was both their faults and now they have to live with this. She should be happy right? She always wanted this since they broke up but why doesn't she? Oh right because she messed up something with someone he genuinely loves.

If not for me, then at least for your baby.

Tears slide down her cheeks, she's not sure for which reason in particular though. Tears for you? For the regret that still haunts her for what they've done to you? Tear for Brandon? For her gratefulness to him for wanting to stay with her and try to be with her even if it's for the kid?

For the fear of the future?

For being so sickeningly happy, despite the situation that led them to where they are now?

Cassie's eyes squeezed closed, a ragged breath escaping her. She knows she doesn't deserve a hopeful future yet here she is with the man she loves, with a life growing inside of her and now, an offer of actual marriage.

All this because Skyler chose to leave everything behind even if it tore her apart. All because she is capable of the love she didn't know was even possible. She practically gave everything she had to her.

Brandon was Skyler's world.

Her hold still burns her skin and it's as if she can still hear her voice saying, "Then promise me you'll love and take care of Brandon."

She can still remember the look of utter selfless love in her eyes.

"Promise me you'll love him even when it gets hard or even when it's painful."

She can still hear the sadness and pain lacing her voice as she asks her what she knows is practically killing her to do so.

"Do everything else that I would never be able to do for Brandon. Please?"

Wherever Skyler was, she sincerely hoped she was doing better. Prayed she'll get the happiness and love she truly deserved and realize that she is not at fault in any way but her since she should've stayed away.. Cassie owes her the entire life she now has ahead of her and she has no idea how else to repay Skyler for everything she's done.

Except, keep her word..

Cassie meets Brandon's gaze, heart thumping erratically in her chest. "Okay." she breathes, nodding. "For our baby," Cassie places Brandon's huge hand over her now prominent bump, murmuring, "For Hana."

"Hana?" Brandon's voice falters, looking up at Cassie in shock. "W-we're going to have a girl?" She saw his eyes light up for the first time and her heart squeezed, a nod as response was all she could muster, smiling back at him. Brandon felt like his bones turned into jelly, fear and love he's never felt before fighting for dominance within him.

He broke down, finding himself crouching down to hug Cassie's middle. His head lays on her lap, his forehead rubbing against the bump. He felt sorry for even thinking about ending his own life, felt bad for almost abandoning his little girl.