CHAPTER TWELVE

DENVER ELIZABETH HAMILTON glares stormily out the window at the lush grass plains they were speeding by in the car her parents rented for her trip. Despite, the green and verdant view, she grows sadder each passing second. Every moment she's even privileged to these views means the further away she is from home.

She refuses to cry though, all that has been done, everything let out in the privacy of her bedroom. Denver has already come to terms with it.

One of Denver's rules of being a true genius was turning any situation into your favor and Denver could definitely do that. Windsor is another chance to hone her skills, to conquer, and come back to Westwood better than ever.

So if she has to sacrifice her monthly shopping trips in the city, being in the loop with all her friends from Westwood, and most of all, her adorable puppy Oakley, then so be it. Because isn't that what being on top was all about? Sacrificing everything in your arsenal for the goal? It is a small sacrifice to pay, Denver has decided.

"We'll be pulling in shortly," her chauffeur declares, pulling Denver from her thoughts.

She says nothing. Despite already deciding to make the best of it, Denver isn't happy about it. Her parents would probably get a report on her from her chauffeur later on and she definitely doesn't want them to think she's actually okay with their decision. If anything, she should have been able to tag along with them on their year-long vacation.

Again, Denver turns back to the window. The beautiful brick buildings looped with green ivy that was Windsor Academy takes her breath away. From its beauty or from her own nerves, Denver has no idea. She suspects the former, because Denver, being a native Californian, has never seen a place so green. All around here are flourishing trees and green grass stretching onto the edges of deep, dense woods surrounding the school. Behind the school, from Denver's position in the car, she notices a large lake connecting to more thick woodlands. Denver was instantly reminded of her ninth-grade field trip to Tahoe.

The chauffeur pulls the car to a stop and walks around to open the door for her. Denver steps out, still admiring the unexpected beauty of the school. It is exactly what she had always imagined a boarding school would be. She shudders just thinking of all the bugs.

The chauffeur stands to the side, watching her observe her new home with reluctant awe.

"What do you think, Miss Hamilton?" he speaks, opening the trunk and unloading Denver's carry-on travel Louis Vuitton suitcases. Her room stuff and other clothes had already been shipped ahead. Denver tears her eyes away from the school and wrinkles her nose towards her chauffeur.

He clears his throat instantly, chastised. Denver leaves that impression on a lot of people. "Is that all, Miss Hamilton?"

She nods surly, watching as he places her suitcases next to her and bids her a polite goodbye. The energy heiress sighs as she steps onto the brick road leading to the school. She stands by herself and watched as he waved again. Her only way out pulls out of the school's circular driveway and drives off.

And he's gone.

Grabbing her suitcases, Denver turns and heads towards the glass doors of the school's entrance, stepping into the school and her new life.

The Administration building is pristine, with shiny waxed hardwood floors and a giant banner of the school symbol and motto at the end of the hall. The walls were littered with plaques and trophies that gleamed in their cases. Those must have been waxed too. Or polished, whatever. Denver never concerns herself with stuff like that.

Denver enters through the first door on her left, her Louis Vuitton suitcases rolling along behind her. The signs hanging along the old oak doors help her find her way to the front office where she needs to be.