xxxxviii

[ chapter 48 ]

december 30
6:30 a.m
manhattan, new york

- - - - -

"No, I honestly don't exactly know but we have to find out. If I'm being targeted I'm sure you are too."

"I know. Look, you call Calvin and I'll look up the first flight over. We should all be there by tonight at least if Calvin takes the first flight here too." I nodded, even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Sounds good to me. I'm sorry about all this, Astro. ." I truly was. This man had a wife and kids! He shouldn't be dealing with this anymore.

"It's not your fault, Y/nn. Shit happens and we both chose this life and it's consequences. I booked the flight. I'll be there at 10:30." I looked around Ari and I's shared bedroom. Ariana was in the walk-in closet packing some clothes for a few days. I'm pretty sure Toulouse and Myron were in there with her.

"Alright, man. Be safe. See you soon." He replied with a simple "Always." and we hung up.

I walked into the closet to see my fiancée finishing up. Toulouse was on her lap and Myron was asleep right beside her. I frowned at the sight. I couldn't believe this.

We're supposed to get married in a month. New Years Eve is tomorrow. Why is this happening?

"Almost ready, baby?" Ari looked at me over her shoulder and nodded curtly. "Yeah." She was being dry, which meant she was upset. I couldn't blame her. I was too.

"I'm sorry, Ari." I walked over and bent down beside her. Toulouse immediately licked the arm I placed on the Italian's thigh. I used my other hand to turn Ariana's head to look at me. Which she complied to.

"I don't blame you for being mad or upset about me. And I'm sorry I never told you earlier. I didn't think this would ever be a problem." Ariana's brown eyes quickly filled up with tears.

"I don't want a call that I've lost you, Y/n." Her voice wavered. "I wouldn't be able to handle it." She began to cry. I frowned deeply and pulled her into me. We laid down flat on the closet floor.

Her head on my chest with her arm wrapped around my waist. I was holding her even closer (though I don't that was possible) and Toulouse had made himself comfortable between Ari and I's intertwined legs.

"You won't, bellissima. I promise no matter what happens I'll always find my way back to you." I placed a soft kiss on her temple. She did the same to the middle of my chest — my heart.

"As will I, Y/nn." She then looked up to connect our eyes. "Just promise me we'll get married the day that's planned." I smiled softly and locked her pinky finger with mine.

"I promise."

~~~~~

"Alright, see you soon C." I spoke into the phone as I pulled into Joan's driveway. "See you soon." I placed my phone in my lap as Ariana turned to look at me.

"C? Who's that?" I sighed. "Calvin. One of the 'calls' I had to make." Her mouth formed an 'o' shape and she nodded. I saw the front door open and out walked Joan and Nonna. I smiled and got out. I walked around and let Ariana out, who had Toulouse and Myron in her arms.