Chapter Twelve

B E L L A M Y

The following days I tried to avoid Noah at all costs. I didn't want to let him in more than necessary, but even without his presence, he managed to consume my thoughts.

I was confused. That was the right word.

A few weeks ago I couldn't stand the guy, and now... I was asking myself if I might have been too hard on him. No. Don't go there.

Tears appeared in my eyes as I thought back to the time I felt small and worthless. How he had mocked me, scolded me, snapped at me.

It had been about two years since, so maybe it was time to move on? I hadn't seen any change in him, but then again, I hadn't let him show it.

"Ugh." I groaned loudly, startling Isaac who was eating breakfast across from me.

"You alright?" he asked, and I nodded.

"I think I'm going to apply for a job," I blurted out, placing my hands in my sides.

Isaac raised his brows and smiled, dropping his spoon in his bowl and sitting back in his chair. "Where?"

Good question.

"I...don't know."

Isaac laughed and I rubbed a hand over my face. Where the fuck would they even hire me at this point? I'm a train wreck.

"You know," Isaac said, rising from his seat and bringing his bowl to the kitchen. "I believe the new coffee shop is still hiring."

My head shot up. "Really?"

Making coffee. I could do that.

"Hmm." He gave me an encouraging smile, and I quickly grabbed my things.

Storming out of the house, I bumped into Noah on my way out, but even he couldn't put a damper on my mood. I hadn't even set foot in the shop, but I felt lighter already.

I stared up at the simple yet elegant sign above the door, a little hesitant to go in.

Harvey's.

It wasn't a place I had visited often—though I love some good coffee—but who knew, maybe I could really enjoy my time here. If they gave me a chance, that is.

Taking a deep breath, I was about to walk up to the entrance and pull one of the heavy glass doors open, when someone came out.

The discoloration on his face startled me, but I couldn't help but feel satisfied with my work on Robert's face as he kept his head down.

After a few steps, he saw me, and with my chin up in the air, I held his gaze.

"Well, well, well." My tone was a little arrogant, but to be completely honest, it felt really good to see him so miserable.

"You." He took a step closer, yet keeping his distance. I wouldn't mistake his actions for fear of me, but it boosted my ego anyway.

"Yes, me," I replied, crossing my arms and looking him up and down.

"You ruined everything, little bitch," he sneered, pointing a finger at me.

I smirked, walking up to him. "You did all of that yourself, asshole."

Without looking back I shot past him into the coffee shop, maybe a little scared he would go all berserk on me in the middle of the street.