PROLOGUE

She'd waited a long time for this.

A breeze stirred on her face, brushing the hair from her eyes and blowing cooly across her skin. A sigh crawled from the misused recesses of her chest and burst forth in a hiss of satisfaction.

It'd been so long since she'd had hair and eyes and skin, since she'd had any need for a breeze or a breath. These were mortal things, things that were not necessary in the existence she led.

Which could only mean...

Through the inky expanse in which she inhabited, a sudden light made itself known, parting the darkness like the sun clearing fog from a dewy field. Around her, shapes and colours made themselves known, and the scents of wet pavement and freshly mown grass floated in from the outside.

She could almost taste it, this other realm, existing just beyond her own.

If she only she could reach out and-

There.

A sudden tugging at her newly formed midriff, like a hook ensnared around her middle, pulling her forward through the gloom.

There seemed a moment where it all flew by her, fire and shadow and heat, terrible screaming that bounced from the internal catacombs of her skull, ear-splitting and heart-rending. She tore through it all like a knife tearing through paper.

And when she tumbled forth from the ether, scraping ash and cinder from her knees as though they were lint, a flash of brilliant triumph blazed through her from horn tip to tip toe.

She'd waited a long time for this.