Chapter sixteen

Playlist: Kidneythieves - Trickster.

###

His hand slipped on my back, pulling me closer to his body. A date? No, I have to go home and laugh at that idea. Never in a million years, I'm going to be his date, what's more, pretend to be one. I was so confused about this whole night. I scanned his face and saw nothing. If my words and actions used to make him smirk and frown, then now his face was so serious that I couldn't understand a single emotion. Even though he explained everything, I'm still furious. I am so infuriated, I can't even see straight. My nostrils flared with rage and my breath was hot. Well, the anger made my vision quite blurry.

I took his hand off of me and moved away from him.

''I'm more than sure that we can't get along.'' I was shifting on the couch non-stop.

He lifted his head only to show me one more time his self-satisfied grin... Wipe that ridiculous smile off your face. I hate everything about that smile. I hate this man.

''Quit smirking at me, I'm serious!'' I leaned closer, hoping he'd answer me.

This situation was nothing but a pleasure to him. It's like I'm on an emotional swing when I'm around him. And we've known each other for about an hour, and I've never had the urge to kill someone on purpose, but now this desire is only growing. I squeezed my eyes shut, fighting back the tears. I clenched my hands into fists, trying to control my anger. If I were a bomb, I would have blown up and killed him with my shards.

''Are you ever going to listen to me?'' As soon as the words left my mouth, I crossed my arms tightly, I was still trying to get his attention, knowing that he would continue ignoring me, ''You are an asshole.'' Very quietly I said to myself.

He stretched his neck and took a glass to take a sip of his drink. His eyes were tiredly red, he was probably in need of sleep.

In despair, I look at the wall. I feel his beautiful dark mouth open, but no sounds come out. He's acting as if he ignores me just to get on my nerves. This silence is worse than a knife that rips off a healed wound. A fire that burns the skin to the bones. The pain when the dog eats your flesh and you can't scream because you don't have enough strength. It's slowly killing me. And somehow I can't ignore it.

He opened his mouth, but before he could say anything he took a deep breath in.

''Look, we are kind of stuck together, so we might as well make the best of it.'' His deep voice echoed in my head.

I'll play your game, but the rules will be mine. He frowned when he saw I'd rather look at the wall than look at him.

His fingers ran over my cheekbone. The touch on my skin gave me the creeps.

''There is one thing, I prefer to be looked in the eyes, always,'' his voice sounded a bit hoarse, ''Especially when I'm talking to you.'' He reached for my chin and turned me to face him.

''Is that so?'' I snapped and gave him a dreadful look.

His loud laughter filled the room. He tapped my nose and took his hand off my face.

Why is he laughing all of a sudden? Do I look like a clown or is he just an idiot? I swear I am so sick of his moods. I am sick of that guy's positive energy. I'm just sick and tired of waiting to be used and blackmailed.

''I hate fighting with someone who is supposed to be on my side.'' His voice was calm.

Silence.

''You could just not talk to me...that will work," I muttered in one breath, shrugging my shoulders in defense.

''Don't make me lose interest in you.'' He waved at the waitress to repeat the order.