Chapter 16

The door was open. I walked inside. I felt like I was floating on air. I nearly tripped over my own feet as I reached the kitchen, finding my mom resting against the counter. She stared at me, but I turned left and walked towards the couch. I was so high off of life. No, I think I was high off of Alex.

I laughed. "Mom,"I called her over.

"Hello. How was it?" she asked, sitting next to me.

"Perfect. He opened my doors, bought my ticket, and oh my god he kissed me again!" I smiled widely.

"Did he?" she smiled.

"Yes. Oh mom, he's so amazing," I babbled, not meaning for the words to actually leave my mouth.

"Are you high?" she suddenly asked me.

I stared at her and cracked up. "What the heck, um, no," I answered. "Can't I be in love?"

She laughed at that one. "Oh stop it."

"Just kidding."

"What movie did you two see?"

"I don't exactly remember, but it was scary, I think," I told her, remembering how upset I was at the time.

"You think? How don't you know, unless you weren't watching it," she questioned me.

"Well I was just kind of angry at first because he was acting really different. But then things got better after he told me what was wrong. We talked it out, and now everything is great," I sighed dramatically.

"That's wonderful, honey. I'm glad you had fun," she told me.

I stood up and crossed my arms, shrugging my shoulders and biting my lip. "Me too," I admitted.

I went to bed that night, happy as could be. I couldn't believe I really wasn't dreaming. I also couldn't believe I actually liked a boy. I never used to even think about boys like that. A few months ago, when living in Florida, I swore to myself I would never start to develop feelings for any boy until I was way out of high school, but this kid was just so addicting. I never wanted to be away from him. I liked him so much, that there wasn't a way to even explain it. All I knew was, I fell for him,and my mom was right. There was no turning back.

I didn't sleep well that night, maybe because it was so hot inside my bedroom. I tried opening my door to see if that would help, but it didn't, whatsoever. About an hour later, at around five in the morning, I decided to open my window as wide as I could. That's when I realized how hot it was outside, and it made my day, to be honest. Even though it reminded me of Florida, the musty heat flowing into my room, I was pleased. I was happy to wake up to something that didn't bring me bad memories. This was an amazing feeling, knowing I had gone through my parents divorce, without falling apart.

I fell back to sleep after I crawled back under the covers, and then woke up peacefully a few seconds before my alarm clock rang. I rolled out of bed and got dressed, wearing jean shorts today, finally! I was sweating by the time I began to look for a shirt. I chose a white one, which made me look really tan, and then I pulled back my hair into a low ponytail.

We all ate breakfast as a family this morning, and then Jimmy had to go to school so my mom told Jake and me goodbye and she left. Jake had an attitude problem, and I didn't even want to bother to ask him why. All I saw was the money my mother had left for him on the kitchen counter. Stephanie met up with us and us three walked to school, but she hardly said a word. It looked like something was troubling her for a while, but then she seemed fine once we arrived at school.