Chapter 17

Alex came a few minutes later and I got in the truck, and we drove to the lake that I wanted so badly to return to. We parked in the same spot, and he got the rowboat from the back of the truck out while I helped him drag it towards the water. He was laughing at me because I could barely pick it up, so it took a lot longer then it probably would have taken if someone else was with us. We put it halfway in the water and I jumped in, him sitting on the little seat across from me and pushing us farther into the lake.

While sitting in the rowboat, watching Alex increase the speed with the paddles, the wind blew the hair out of my face and I closed my eyes, letting in a relaxed breath of fresh fall air. I had my head titled up letting the sunlight cover my face, leaving me warm and with goose bumps at the same time. When I finally felt us slow down I opened my eyes and looked at Alexander, who was now staring out at the lake water and trees, watching as birds flew past us and headed towards the sunlight.

"It's so nice out," I said cheerfully, trying to make eye contact with him but he wasn't looking at me.

"Yeah, it's really nice," he answered softly.

I kept my eyes only on him. "I wish we could stay out here forever, in the middle of the woods, in a boat on an amazing lake," I laughed. "Our lake."

"That sounds good to me," he said.

"Does it?"

"Yeah."

"So what's on your mind?"

Finally he looked at me. "What do you mean?"

"Something's bothering you, but you're just ignoring it and not telling me."

"Why are you assuming something's bothering me?"

"Because you won't even look at me," I told him.

"I'm looking at you right now, aren't I?" he asked, trying to make me give up.

"But you weren't earlier," I said.

"Come on, I'm fine."

"You are? Because I highly doubt it, considering how depressed you've been acting for the past few days."

He looked surprised. "What do you mean?" he frowned.

"You're just different lately. You're not as happy," I said quietly.

He laid the paddles in the boat and leaned forward with his hands holding the seat. It took him a while before he said anything. "I'm not?"

"Not really."

"Do I look like I'm mad?"

"No," I shook my head.

"Sad?" he asked me, his eyebrows narrowing, almost like he was giving the answer away himself.

"Mhm," I sighed.

"I look sad?"

"Yeah," I said.

"But how do you know? How do you know so much about me," he questioned, looking really angry so I looked down at the water.

"I'm just guessing Alex," I whispered. "I know you too well. That's all."

"Yeah, you really do."

"Sorry," I whispered.

"It's just so bizarre," he said, grabbing my hand as I met his eyes again.

"Bizarre?"

"Well yeah," he grinned.