Chapter 21

Alexander drove me home that day, and I could barely look at him without wanting to cry. I never even imagined his secret being something this intense. Dying? How could a seventeen year old boy be living with cancer? How could a boy so amazing as him, be so strong, and brave? I couldn't handle it. I didn't even like thinking of the possibility of my best friend, and now boyfriend, dying at such a young age. I didn't understand why he always had a smile on his face, in his heart knowing that he could instantly be hospitalized at any minute, for an unknown and discouraging reason that I honestly couldn't grasp.

I loved this boy. I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. Everything about him drove me absolutely crazy. His lips, so full and inviting, his amazing blue eyes, so bright and innocent, and the way he smiled through everything, no matter what he was feeling inside. At this moment, I really didn't know what to do. I didn't know if I was strong enough to stay with someone who I cared about so much, knowing that they would be fighting for their life.

I honestly, and truly, loved him.

I loved Alexander Sheffield to death.

This very second, I realized how much he really did mean to me...

And I also realized that I was going to have to keep this promise to him, and stand by his side forever.

No matter what happened in the future.

The next morning I woke up, happily, knowing it was the first morning waking up to the thought of remembering I was Alex's girlfriend. I hopped out of bed and walked to the bathroom, took a shower and brushed my teeth. I wore black sweatpants and a gray shirt, laughing at how boyish I looked. I kept my hair down and did my makeup, and I have to admit, I looked really cute. I decided to wear my white Nike shoes and had to untie the two knots, irritated, but still in such a good mood.

The phone rang and I jumped off my bed, answering it with a huge smile.

"Hello," I said, looking into the mirror, staring at the huge smile I had spread across my face.

"Good morning," Alex said, yawning.

"Morning, sleepy head," I laughed, him laughing too.

"I miss you."

My heart dropped. "I miss you too," I told him, holding my breath. "How are you feeling?"

"Well I'm kind of craving an ice coffee, so I figured we could drive through Dunkin donuts and get ourselves one like old times," he offered.

"So you're picking me up?" I gasped, so excited.

"Well yeah. I can now, since your my girlfriend and everyone knows," he told me sweetly.

"I love knowing that you're my boyfriend," I totally blurted out, not meaning to. "And that you want to be with me for the rest of your whole life," I laughed sarcastically.

"Sounds like Heaven," was all he said, making my heart melt.

Was I really that special to him?

He beeped the horn and I rushed outside, him waiting at his car, holding open my door. I walked towards him and when I got there, he kissed me. It was very unexpectedly though, because I surely knew he suspected my mother staring at us through the living room window. I had to admit, he was obviously pretty brave. I sat inside and turned the radio on, hearing some screemo music and jumping from the loud noise.