Chapter 15

AVERY SAW IT ALL. David turned his back, shut the door, and left without a word. She couldn't believe how she kept her composure and remained silent as she watched him go. The moment the door shut, tears fell down her cheeks. She closed her eyes and bit her lower lip. There was no word to describe her intense pain and hate.

She had no one; she was desolate. The day that had started with excitement and joy was ending with hate and sorrow. She didn't think twice; she returned to the afternoon video she had recorded and forwarded to Shelly. A while back, she told herself that the pain of deception she'd experienced both the first time and today had the same intensity. After what had just occurred, she concluded that betrayal by the same someone twice and being left behind was a lethal combination.

Before she burst into tears again, her phone rang. Her caller ID showed Shelly's name. She was so lucky to have a great best friend. She may not have been fortunate in the romance department, but having Shelly was a blessing. When a complicated situation occurred, Shelly either called or came for her. 

"Where is that bastard right now? Where are you, Ave?"

"Shells... I'm here at the penthouse. He left a few minutes ago."

"Find him now! Use the locator app, and I will give that bastard a dose of his own medicine!"

"How will you do that? I'm so alone. I have no one." Avery's sobbing developed into a full-on wailing. "Coming here was a mistake. I shouldn't have come here."

"Stop blaming yourself. And you are not alone. I won't let that happen. Come down to the lobby now. I sent someone for you."

Like a little girl crying, abandoned in unfamiliar territory, she didn't ask Shelly questions. Whoever showed up for her in the lobby, she'd take it. She didn't want to be alone. Getting left behind and being alone with a broken heart would be her death.

After grabbing her phone and bag, she ran for the elevator. While waiting for the lift to stop in the lobby, she sent a command for the locator app to search for David. Even without getting a response, she knew where he might have gone.

Her phone chimed when the lift door opened in the lobby. Before she could check her phone, she saw Shelly standing at the front desk. Her eyes welled as they ran toward each other. They didn't say a word. Shelly's tight embrace gave her all the comfort she needed.

"How are you here? You do not know how happy you made me."

"I told you I'm your do or die, Ave!"

"Thank you, Shells! But how did you do it?"

"I knew something was wrong when you told me he didn't show up for lunch. It was confirmed when you hung up on me when I called you. You didn't reply to my messages after. So I booked the next available flight. Art is outside waiting for us in the rented car."

Avery couldn't believe what her best friend had done. Shelly had come with her husband to be with her. First, she wiped Avery's tears and fixed her hair. Then, when she saw the cell phone in her hand, Shelly remembered David. "Did you find him?"

Avery nodded as she checked her phone. Her chest grew heavy. She felt embarrassed to disclose David's location to her best friend. But she knew Shelly would not let the day end without fighting her war. She would even die for her if she needed to.

"What did the locator app say?" Shelly asked.

Avery shook her head, worried about what her best friend might do. "It's okay, Shells." Her voice cracked. "I don't want to complicate the situation even more."