Chapter 4: Grace

He's a really great friend. I am happy we ran into each other at that bookstore. I decided to stop reading in the halls but that means I have to actually look up at people.

I waited for the bell to ring for the second period when he slammed his hands down on the table.

" oh hi River." I smiled.

The librarian shushed us and I gave her an apologetic smile. " what's wrong with you?" He starts. " well I broke a arm when I was 8, I wear glasses my ha...."

" no. I mean being friends can't just be your price, you text me, call me a lot, and you. I don't know but I feel like you're playing me here."

" I think you're a great friend River, I would never tell anyone that you're embarrassed that you work at the book..." he covered my mouth with his hand and I got the memo.

" Why are you so eager for friends?" He took his hand away. "Never had one." I shrugged. "I'm not a friend you need."

" no, you're a great friend." I smiled. " No grace, you don't get it."

" you like being my friend right?" I asked. He stared anywhere but me. " oh, I get it, sorry for forcing you into it." I grabbed my book and walked out of the library.

I walked down the hall to the gym. I changed my clothes in the locker room. I waited until all the other girls left so I could change by myself.

That was until Lyla came in. She walked over to me as I was tying my shoes.

" Grace is it?" She said. I lifted my head and smiled at her, even though I was terrified of her. " hi Lyla."

" you bitch." She slapped me. Slapped me!

" why are and my boyfriend texting!"

" Lyla give me my phone...." River noticed the red hand imprint in my cheek and turned to Lyla. " what the hell is wrong with you?" He snatched his phone away. "Me and you are done." He told her. " you can't do that, you need me."

" no, you need me. Leave." He told her. She turned back to me instantly. " we're not done." She threatened. She stomped out of the locker room and I took my glasses off, wiping them.

" I'm sorry about this." He said. " your girlfriend is mean."

" not my girlfriend." He corrected. " can I get you some ice?"

I nodded and he came back minutes later. He put the towel with the ice in it up cheek. He held it there. " Why was she so mad, about us being friends?"

" She's insecure and jealous."

" of me?" I gasp. " I'm not any competition to her."

" Kinda are." He mumbled. I think he thought I didn't hear. " I shouldn't have talked to you like that in the library."

" no, you shouldn't have." I say. " can we still be friends?" He asked. A huge smile grows on my face and I nod excitedly.