Chapter Thirty-Seven

*This is a filler chapter but I felt it was still important. For my peeps worried about an Elijah, Ellie, Nik love triangle, I can promise you that's not where I'm going with this. I hope you guys enjoy! As always, let me know what you think.*

The clear sunlit sky shone bright, blocked only by the thick cover of trees as I passed through the woodland. My focus was sharp as I scanned my surroundings, searching for my prey. I could hear her heavy breathing, the air coming out in deeply strangled gasps, and knew she wasn't far ahead. As I stepped forward, I nearly tripped as my dress was captured by the roots of a nearby tree. I ripped the worn cotton material free, grimacing at the ugly dirt brown color - and all the memories associated with it - and pushed forward. There was no sound on the wind apart from the chattering of birds and crunching of leaves under booted feet a few yards away.

Lifting my gown, I hurried forward, rushing to beat the group I could hear approaching from the east. My lungs burned as I finally made it to the river's edge, and a moss-covered overturned tree - where a young girl dressed in brown hid, her body trembling. Slowly, I bent down and scooted closer to the tree, placing my hand against the rough bark. I glanced over the side, my eyes wide as I caught a glimpse of the red-haired girl hunched into a small ball, her face pressed into her knees. I tilted my head to one side, my forehead crinkled and chewing on my lower lip. A loud splash sent the girl lower to the ground, her eyes widening and choking on air. My brows rose and I glanced over my shoulder toward the river bank.

"Lannie!" a young boy shouted, his voice full of gleeful mischief.

I sat back on my heels as the younger version of myself flattened her palms against the muddy rock-strewn ground, her face scrunching up in discomfort as she tried to make herself invisible. With bated breath, I watched as a small handsome boy came into view, kicking rocks with abandon - his shoulder-length brown hair hid his face as he watched the rocks fly into the river. Henrik Mikaelson's eyes narrowed as he glanced around the bank, a brilliant energetic smile overtaking him as soon as he zeroed in on the overturned tree. Walking over to the edge of the river, he casually bent over and picked up a long withered stick, brandishing it like a sword out in front of him - posing in the perfect fighting stance. With a careless shrug, he twisted it in the air as he walked toward the tree, whistling nonchalantly.

"I know you're around here Lannie, I saw you heading this way. You can't hide from us; you and Rebekah always lose. Kol already found her," Henrik taunted merrily.

As his voice drew closer, the younger Elandra's expression grew wary, and her right cheek was pressed into the dirt as she glanced toward the sky - rolling her eyes. I laid my head on my knees, my cheeks burning due to the gigantic smile plastered on my face. Henrik's stride slowed and he started to creep closer, his steps calculated, the stick lifted above his head. With one final step, he leaned over the tree, brandishing the stick with a giant swing - smacking the younger me against the ass.

A firey shield of red curls was all I could see as the young Elandra jumped up, screaming bloody murder - fists swinging.

"I found her!" Henrik yelled, avoiding young Elandra's fists as he hopped backward, running toward the water.

With a carefree jump, he splashed into the river, knee-deep. Younger Elandra laughed gleefully, kicking water toward him as she modestly lifted her dress, stepping into the water to get closer. I stood to my feet as a group of people came from the treeline, varying degrees of joy shining in their eyes. Elijah was at the head, his long dark hair was disheveled and he was wearing his deep brown leather body armor. Behind him, dirt-smeared along his cheek and nose stumbled Kol - with a smug grin on his face. He had his brown shoulder-length hair tied back into a bun at the nape of his neck, and he wore a tan long sleeve shirt and brown slacks - dusted with mud and leaves. To his left stood Rebekah and Niklaus. Niklaus wore a simple dirt-stained white button-up shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and a brown vest and slacks. Rebekah wore one of her favorite dresses - a simple corset top dress in light blue. Rebekah sent Kol a heated glare as she pushed past him, hurrying toward young Elandra and Henrik. She bundled her dress into one arm as she neared the water and reached out, snapping her fingers to capture young Elandra's attention.