Chapter Fifty-Four

This chapter still needs to be edited, but I think it's a full roller coaster ride. Leave feedback, maybe? Please?

Arvi

I watch my father eye Arjun and me one last time before he motions for us to go inside with his hand. Not a word is spoken as Arjun exits the car, his eyes never meeting mine, and meekly nodding at my father as he tries to look anywhere but at him.

My father wraps an arm around my shoulders, and kisses my hair. "How do you feel? I heard you were sick."

I nod simply. "I'm feeling better now."

Nanna simply leads us inside, making small talk with Arjun, asking him about work and his parents and sister, congratulating him on the Dubai deal.

Arjun looks at me, confusion evident in his features.

What is wrong with your father?

I shrug lightly. You tell me.

"Call everyone, tell them Arvi and Arjun are here," he tells a maid, and turns to us. "Come, let's sit in the living room."

We follow my father silently, and sit down together on a couch, while he sits on the one-seater recliner.

"How has work been for you, Arvi? All well?"

I nod. "It has been well."

"Not too much pressure, I hope? Manageable?" I read the unsaid in the concerned lines on his forehead.

The pressure's not affecting your marriage, I hope? Is everything okay?

"There's no pressure at all," I assure him. "Everything's usual." Usual is me fighting with my parents, saying mean things and getting hurt, but this time, I've let it affect my equation with Arjun.

"And everything else?"

I look up at him, assessing his features. Not too much of a pointed question for this nonchalant man?

"Everything is fine," I answer nonetheless.

The sound of slippers slapping against the marble floor alerts me to my mother's presence. I look at her, blank-faced, but my mother has a cordial smile on her face. "Such a pleasant surprise," she exclaims, sitting down on a sofa. "Did all of you come together?" she asks Nanna.

"No, we met at the gate," he answers.

"When did you come back, Arjun?" my mother inquires, politely.

"Last night, Athayya," Arjun replies.

My mother's eyes briefly skim over me, but nothing leaves her mouth. She simply looks over to the maid and enquires about Arjun's choice before asking the maid to bring four cups of tea.

"I'll just have some water, thanks," I interject, and look down at my lap, not wanting to meet my mother's eyes.

"Nayanamma and Thathayya are not here?" Arjun poses.

"No," my mother answers. "They'll be here in two weeks for Thathayya's check up."

"Ah! Look who's had the time to come home!" I hear Pranathi Vadina exclaim as she walks over to us, holding her barely visible stomach protectively.

"Hi Vadina," I greet, and stand up to give her a hug. "How are you?" I ask, holding both her hands as I look down at her stomach.

"I'm well," she says, grinning. "What about you? Now that Arjun's here, no more fever?"

A short chuckle escapes my lips. "No fever," I answer, vaguely. "Where's Karthik Anna?"

"He's coming," Pranathi Vadina says, looking in the direction of the stairs. "He was napping when Anita told me you're here. I woke him up and came down."