TWENTY FIVE

We needed someone to see our monsters and take away our pain

We needed someone to see our monsters and take away our pain. We needed someone to be our lighthouse in the dark. Some of us wanted to hide in that darkness and never come out. Never be found.

But some of us were brave enough to take a step out of the darkness. We needed a chance to see the light even in the darkest of nights.

And while we yearned for someone to make it all okay, to be that lighthouse, we ended up falling into the hands of the wrong people.

Why would you play with someone's trust? Why would you see someone who was broken and decide to shatter their remains?

We were the cause of each other's problems quite alright. These were all part of the things we did.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Tari never closed her eyes to sleep that night not because she was prepping for the debate or because she was having nightmares again, but because she just couldn't get Ahmed Yusuf out of her head. After what he'd told her, she wasn't sure she would ever see him the way again.

How could he live with that?

Suddenly, her own problems felt so irrelevant and unworthy to be called problems. She wanted to spend every minute of the day with him and make sure he was okay but then she had to remind herself that what happened to him had happened two years ago and he'd been surviving without her since then.

She wasn't sure she should be feeling the way she was feeling. Especially since it was her best friend's brother they were talking about.

And the fact that Amira didn't know... It wasn't like she could do anything about that. Ahmed had trusted her to not say anything to anyone even if he didn't out rightly mention it, the same way he'd kept her abortion a secret.

Tari walked into the SS 2 floor looking like the Walking Dead. But as soon she'd seen Ahmed, her eyes lighted up. The only problem was that he was with his clique and Annika was eagerly demonstrating something to them. Their eyes met but Ahmed looked away almost immediately.

"Good morning." Amira suddenly appeared in front of her, stealing her attention immediately. Apparently, it was one of those rare days that the girl had decided to wear her Hijab. The white Hijab went well with her grey blazer and white inner shirt.

"Hey," Tari breathed out, a smile gracing her lips almost immediately. She adjusted the straps on her bag and began walking with Amira.

"Ready for today?" Amira asked. She was obviously talking about the debate.

Tari shrugged. "We'll see how it goes."

Tari turned around to steal a glance at Ahmed as he still stood and laughed with his friends before she walked into the classroom.