TWENTY SIX

I guess things started getting ugly when we began taking desperate measures

I guess things started getting ugly when we began taking desperate measures. Desperate measures to be accepted, to be seen, to be loved, to be on top.

Like I said before, no one in this story is innocent. No one is completely without wrong.

In our story, saints and sinners were one and the same.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Amira was one the people who had run over to see what was actually happening and she had also been among the people who watched in awe as her brother stormed out with Tari as if she was his prized possession.

In all honesty, she didn't know how to feel about that. It always took her time to realize how she felt about certain things. And although she didn't know how to feel, she already had an idea of what she would arrive at.

She simply hoped that whatever feeling that she would arrive at wouldn't cost her Tari's friendship which seemed to already be on a thin line.

Tari was angry with her. Did she have the right to be? Probably.

She had wanted to win the debate by all means, true. But at a point, it became about making her friend feel guilty.

"Okay, everybody, gather around, let's practice this one more time before we call it a day," Zehan could be heard shouting, trying to get everyone's attention back to the relay race at hand. "The girls will go first. Two teams, four runners on both teams, let's go!"

Amira soon found herself in the same team with Kasy and two other girls from the Art Class. She didn't take note of the runners on the other team until she was on her mark. She was the last runner on the track, meaning she would finish the race.

She took in deep breaths and did mini warm-ups on the spot.

"Remember, you don't start running until the baton is in your hands. The baton falls, you can pick it up or give up," said Zehan, walking round to make sure all the racers were on their marks. "On your marks!" he yelled at the two girls starting the race. They bent down, placing fingers on their marks and holding the white batons tightly. "Get set!" They positioned properly to take off.

Amira could hear the beating of her own heart in her ears.

"Ready?" Zehan yelled even louder and the girls seemed like they were already running the race in their head.

The sound of the whistle and the racers ran like people being chased by mountain lions.

The second set of runners turned to face the incoming runners, stretching their hands to grab the baton and hopping on their feet agitatedly as they got ready to continue the race.

The baton was passed at once and it seemed the two teams were running in sequence to meet the third runners. Kasy was hundred meters away from Amira but Amira could see her anticipating the baton.