Date N' Skate

Johnny knocked on your door that evening at 8 o'clock sharp.

When you pulled open the door, you were met face to face with a boy who's smile was practically glowing with excitement. He had an arm hidden behind his back. Before you could even question it, he quickly pulled his hand out and revealed a tiny bouquet of daisies.

"For you m'lady."

You took them with a wide grin on your face. "Wow," you exhaled, "thank you Johnny."

Just then, you felt a presence behind you. Turning to face your mother, you forced a smile. You knew your mother had been skeptical of Johnny ever since the truth was revealed about all that he had done. But she still remembered her adoration for the boy. When she spoke, she spoke hesitantly yet very regal.

"You two have fun tonight."

You mouthed the words thank you.

As you walked to his car, you admired the daisies. He saw you bring them up to your nose, and he smiled. "The other night, you had a daisy in your hand. I wasn't sure if it was your favorite flower or not but I wanted to do something nice for you. I hope it wasn't too overboard-"

"Johnny," you shut him up, "I love them."

"Good. I risked the boys almost seeing me pick flowers this afternoon."

The two of you laughed as you got in the car. Before you buckled up, Johnny took his jacket off and draped it over your shoulders. He paused, his eyes glazing over with fear. It was almost as if you could read his thoughts: was that too much? Should I have done that?

You calmed his nerves by slipping one arm through the holes at a time. You placed the daisy bouquet on the glove compartment and held your arms across your body. He blushed before turning forward and putting the keys in the ignition.
•••
The two of you arrived at Golf N' Stuff after a drive full of laughter and talking. You tried to act normal around him, how you usually would, and things seemed to be going great.

You laced up your skates by the rink as he went up to the rental desk. When they handed him his skates, he turned around to look for you, a large smile on his features. You waved your hand frantically from your seat on a bench, and he immediately looked relieved you hadn't left him.

He rushed over to you, sitting himself right next to you. Your heart did a flip when you realized how close he had been sitting, his thigh up against yours. But you didn't pull away, and neither did he.

After a few failed attempts of lacing the skates, you had to help Johnny get them on properly. Embarrassed, he brushed it off as if he really knew what he was doing. He was just a little "rusty" as he called it.

On the carpet, the two of you walked on wheels. Johnny bragged, saying how simple it was for him to walk in them. His ego began to burst.

Until you reached the wood.

You stepped onto the rink effortlessly, gliding forward. When you turned to Johnny, you saw he had one foot placed on the wood, the other stayed rooted on the carpet.

"Are you coming?" You teased.

He sighed in defeat. "I'm stuck."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

Rolling your eyes playfully, you skated toward Johnny and held out your hands. His eyes traveled from your face and down to your hands and back up again. Finally, he reached out hesitantly and placed his hands in your palms.

You began to move backward slowly, coaxing Johnny forward. The image before you looked like Bambi on ice. His legs trembled, not knowing how to move. Eyes adverted to the ground, he mumbled to himself.