1

Bathump…

The suffocating feeling was killing him.

Bathump…

But he had to get up, he had to get to Dianxia… he had to tell him that he loved him and everything would be alright…

Bathump…

He felt a sharp pain on his left eye and it was like something was trying to claw its way out of there. He unconsciously tried to raise his hand to hold his eyes, but it seemed that he had no energy left to do so. Not to even open his eyes.

He heard Dianxia's voice calling him from afar, and he would like to answer him.

Yes, I'm here…

Yes, I'm not going anywhere…

Yes, I will never leave you…

"Do you want to be stronger?"

Hua Cheng opened his eyes to total darkness. He could hear the deep, pleasant voice, but he could not see anything.

"Who are you? Where am I? Where's Dianxia?" He tried to adjust his sight, but suddenly realized that he did not wear his eye patch anymore.

"Who I am is not your concern. The only thing you should be concerned about is how can you protect your Dianxia, if he's a million times stronger than you?"

Ouch. That's surely a sore point for him. 

He knew that Dianxia did not need any protection from anyone, less of all from him. And yet, he still had this yearning to do something for Dianxia, to show him that he was not just a pretty boy, that he could be something of a help to him. But should he trust this strange voice? He did not even know where he was right now. Did someone kidnap him?

"Answer me, do you want power beyond what your Dianxia had? The power to protect him and the ones you love?"

Well, it sounded tempting, but as a businessman he knew that there must be a catch, especially with this kind of shady dealing.

"What's the catch? And who are you to be able to give me that much power? Are you some kind of a god? Alien?"

The voice chuckled.

"Well, I'm not any of those you mentioned. And there's no catch. I've been laying dormant inside of you for so long, until your wish to be stronger, to protect those you love, awaken me. Accept me, and if you are strong enough, we will be invincible."

"And if I don't?"

"Well, that's a risk you have to take."

"What happened? What's wrong?" Wei Wuxian had obliterated all the locusts and she went inside the house to find another commotion. She walked to the kitchen to find that Xie Lian was kneeling beside something like a body that was shrouded by red mist, and he looked like his heart was just ripped out of his chest. He Xuan was kneeling on the other side of the body and Lan Wangji was beside him. They were observing something when his eyes caught hers.

Lan Wangji stood up and walked to Wei Wuxian.

"What happened? Was there another attack? Who's that on the floor? Hua Cheng?" 

"Yes, it's Hua Cheng. We have no idea what happened though. He was just standing there one second and the next second he fell down on the floor and that red mist covered him from head to toe. You should take a look at Xie Lian, he doesn't look too good."

"I will." Wei Wuxian moved to Xie Lian's side and hugged him. "What's wrong? What happened?" She could see that  Xie Lian was trembling so she grabbed his hands and squeezed them.