Eleven

2015: October, Fall Semester

In the basement of the Legends Hall dorm building, Genesis and Magenta are in the community laundry room. Gee takes another load out of the dryer, while Gen sits on top of the center table skipping through people's stories on Snapchat. Her feet wearing pink Ugg's kick back and forth as Gee puts more clothes in the dryer and washer.

Beginning to fold his clothes and putting them in his basket neatly he says, "Since you came down here with me you could help a nigga out."

"Nobody told you to wait two months to wash your clothes," she looks at his multiple baskets that're overflowing. He hasn't washed his regular clothes since this summer. He'd only get his football stuff washed. He's lucky he has a lot of clothes.

"I've been busy as hell between football practice, football games, watching film for football, study hall after football, workouts, classes, and the classwork," he emphasizes football each time to make the point clear. "Why'd you come then?"

"Moral support," she flashes a smile at him tilting her head to the side. "I helped carry a basket. That's something! If you start paying me, maybe I'll do your laundry for you. Or you better ask one of your little hoes."

He sucks his teeth. "I don't have hoes. And you know I ain't got extra money for that. I'm already paying this one chick to sign me into my elective class, so I don't have to go."

"And how exactly do you plan to pass, Mr. Sir?"

"I go in on test and quiz days. Keep up with the reading on my own. Going to that class three times a week for an hour and a half is pointless and a waste of time," he shrugs.

"I feel that way about a couple classes. You know, we could finish these degrees a lot faster if we only had to take classes pertaining to our major. The hell am I in a reading class for? We literally come in & read a book. Our first major grade was making a PowerPoint of all the memorable books we've read in our lifetime," Gen wears a straight face.

Gee busts out laughing. "You serious?"

"Yes! It's supposed to be a class where we learn about reading for the different areas. Literature, media, newspapers, blogs, etc. I did put my professor onto the Midnight series by Sistah Souljah though. My girl about to be reading urban novels," she laughs.