23 ◦❀◦ Screamers & One Lilia

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

In times that the duke hasn't left yet for his weekly assembly or out for official business, Lizzie would eat breakfast with him.

"Feliziia," he called, after his coffee.

"Yes, Papa?"

"There is no need to attend your etiquette lessons from now on."

Her forked pancake froze midair.

"That woman-Ana, is not here as of the moment."

"Why..." she asked in a whisper.

"She left Nordis last night for something important. That boy, Alec, and his nanny are left with us for now."

"But why..." she repeated, finally, her pancake back on the plate. What happened that the tutor even left her son alone?

Lizzie thought of Alec, and imagine his red eyes glistening in tears for his mother. Meh, not happening. That brat is inhuman. Though I'd love to see him wail.

"Are you sad?"

"No-" but she stopped. It must have looked that way when Devanti, who was usually expressionless, had knitted his eyebrows in worry.

"Papa~ did she do something wrong? Was it because she said Lizzie looks like mother?"

The duke's cup handle broke, but lucky, it was still on the saucer. Yet, even the butler Hewitt, who personally attends the duke, could not approach to take the cup away.

And Lizzie just realized she has stabbed a demon right where it hurts.

I'm so dead.

"Did she tell you anything?" His voice was lower and colder.

In hopes her answer would save Ana wherever she is, Lizzie shook her head so quickly that she thought her neck would break. "No, only that! Lizzie did not ask, because Papa will get mad. Papa hates Kirien, so Lizzie will not ask. Never. Lizzie will never ask. So please Papa, don't hurt Ana."

She would never ever even mention her mother's name after this. He had indulged her so far that Lizzie forgot how cruel he could be.

"It's not like that." His voice was meeker now. "She was only to teach you for a month and leave for something she must do. In exchange for your lessons, that boy will be under our protection."

The duke told her to finish her food and then left. Lizzie was left and for some reason she has lost her appetite, watching the door where she had seen Devanti's retreating back.

"That boy will be under our protection," as the patriarch stated earlier. Protection. The word was heavy.

Things had gotten more complicated and Lizzie had more questions. The duke's face left a twisty discomfort in her gut. For a powerful and ruthless man... Why did you look hurt?

She finished her breakfast and despite Fay's worry about running after a meal, she dashed to the study but ended up asking for Shaw's piggyback to reach it faster. As she hoped, Alec was there an hour earlier before Sir Cavat arrives for the lesson.

"What?" the boy asked after she stood there for seconds watching him immersed in his book.

"What?" he repeated, finally looking at her.

For a boy, he had fierce eyes, like an eagle's, and his raven hair glimmered as if it stole the rays of the sun from the window behind him.

He looked untouchable.