Chapter 29 | maeve loses at exploding snap. oh look, butterflies.

------------------> REGULUS WAS OUTSIDE IN THE GARDENS AT NIGHT WITH HER PARENTS

 ------------------> REGULUS WAS OUTSIDE IN THE GARDENS AT NIGHT WITH HER PARENTS. They were seated on the patio, playing exploding snap and slurping carrot soup. A pot of tea was at the side, along with tubs of sugar, salt and other condiments. The House Elves were probably rejoicing that the beautiful fountain arrangements and light display that routinely put up had finally gained an audience. Seeing them eased the unsettling feeling she had developed ever since Rachel had smashed whatever hopeful delusions Maeve had possessed regarding journalism.

Her father spotted her first. "Maeve!" He beamed, waving her over and patting the vacant chair adjacent to his.

"Where did you have to go so late?" asked Mavis, creases forming between her brows.

"Oh, I forgot to submit this article for tomorrow," responded Maeve as she seated herself. Regulus watched her thoughtfully, wrapped in at least three layers of clothes despite warming charms existing.

Mavis' frown deepened. "It could have waited until tomorrow, love. Or perhaps, you could send the article by owl or through a house-elf."

Maeve willed a flush to grace her cheeks, absently thanking her father who passed her a bowl containing a generous amount of soup. "It didn't cross my mind in the rush, mum. I'm sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry about, darling, I was just a little worried." Mavis smiled warmly.

Maeve returned her smile before picking up her spoon. "So," she began to change the topic. "Who's winning?"

Regulus smiled. Her parents did not. The answer was obvious.

"Really?" Maeve arched a brow, setting her spoon back down. She leaned forward, towards Regulus who sat directly opposite to her. "You know, I'm pretty good at exploding snap."

"I'm better," Regulus stated like it was a fact.

"Ooo," Marius grinned. "I sense a tournament."

"But after dinner," Mavis added, throwing a pointed look to all three of them.

"Of course," agreed Regulus, flicking his gaze to Maeve. "You mustn't lose on an empty stomach, after all."

"Funny," said Maeve. "I was about to say the same to you."

"I beat you in that, I'll beat you at snap within a snap."

"Hilarious pun but—"

"If you have time for bad trash talk, you have time to put soup in your mouth," cut in Mavis sharply.

Maeve pouted. Regulus blushed and cleared his throat. "Right. Apologies, Mrs Macmillan."

Mavis looked taken aback by the sincereness of Regulus' tone and patted his back. "It's completely alright, Regulus, don't worry." Then, she poured him some tea and added a sprinkle of cinnamon along with sugar. "I hope you like cinnamon in your tea."