THIRTY - NINE

Luna woke up with the sun shining brightly through the windows, warming her back and the blankets around her

Luna woke up with the sun shining brightly through the windows, warming her back and the blankets around her. She moved her arm back, sighing when she felt an empty bed next to her. After a few minutes, she pulled herself out of bed and pulled on what she'd meant to wear to bed the night previous before walking downstairs. She could hear voices coming from the kitchen, so she made her way downstairs. Carl and Michonne were standing in the small kitchen, a small basket of food sitting on the counter next to Michonne.

"Morning." Luna said, rubbing her eyes as she moved into the room.

"Hey." Carl smiled lightly, putting an arm around her waist and leaning down, pecking her lips.

"How'd you sleep?" Michonne asked.

"Better than I have in a while." Luna nodded. "What are you doin' over?"

"Well someone needs to take care of you two." Michonne joked. "I was just bringing by some food, and going over the plan with Carl."

"What plan?" Luna's eyebrows furrowed as she looked between them.

"I'll tell you." Carl said. "We'll meet over at the house in an hour, right?"

"Yeah." Michonne nodded. "I'll see you guys later."

"I'll walk you out." Carl moved away from Luna, following Michonne out. Luna sighed, leaning against the counter and poking through the basket. She heard the door shut, and Carl was soon back.

"What plan?" Luna asked, turning around to face him as he came up to her. He sighed lightly, putting a hand on her waist.

"My dad and Michonne...they've decided that we're gonna fight." He said lightly. "Maggie...she told us to go home and get ready to fight after Negan took you. So we're all going to Hilltop to get her and Sasha and get Jesus' help. He said he knew of other communities, so if we all team up, maybe we can beat the Saviors." She nodded after a few moments taking it all in.

"Okay." She breathed, looking up at him. They were both hyper aware of how this would end, how they wanted it to end. And Luna knew, no matter how hard, she would have to be the one to end it. "Let's do this."

—————

Luna sighed, flipping another page in her book. She and Carl had chosen to sit at the back of the RV, while Rick, Michonne, Tara and Rosita sat up front. Carl had left to talk to Rick, leaving Luna to boredly flip through pages and wait out the ride.

"Hey." She looked up, shutting her book and sitting up when she saw Tara standing there. "Can I...?"

"Course." Luna nodded, setting down her book as Tara sat down. For a moment, they were quiet.

"It's good to have you back." Tara finally spoke. "Everyone was really worried."

"I'm sure not everyone was." Luna sucked in a breath. Tara looked over at her, eyebrows raised. "Rick kinda kicked me out last night." She shrugged. "Says he can't trust me anymore because Negan's my dad."

"Well that's bullshit." Tara said. "You're not him, you didn't..." She trailed off, sighing.

"It's fair, all things considered." Luna said. "And I get it. After everyone we've lost to the Saviors...it makes sense. 'Sides, Carl came with me to the brownstone Rick said I could live in so it's not the worst possible scenario." Luna chewed on her lip for a second. "I'm sorry about Denise. She shouldn't have died." Tara nodded, and they fell back into silence. Luna stared ahead of her at the other side of the RV, fidgeting with her ring.

"What's that?" Tara asked, the glint of the metal catching her eye.

"Oh uh..." Luna curled her bare hand over the other. She looked over at Tara, who raised her eyebrows. "Carl gave it to me last night." Luna hesitantly held out her hand, and Tara took it, raising the ring into the light. "We haven't really had a chance to tell anyone yet. You're actually the first person to know."

"Well I'm honored." Tara smiled, dropping Luna's hand before leaning over and wrapping her in a hug. It took Luna by surprise, but she quickly shook it off and hugged Tara back. "Congratulations."

"Thanks." Luna smiled as they pulled away. "Still doesn't...feel real, you know? More like a dream, if anything." Tara nodded.

"You know, it's kinda funny." Tara said, a light smile on her face.

"What is?" Luna asked.

"Rick kicks you out because he says he can't trust you." Tara started. "So Carl moves with you and then proposes on the same night." Tara chuckled. "Kinda sends a clear message about what he thinks, doesn't it?"

—————

Luna stared up at the large wooden gate in front of them, hearing people shuffling around on the other side. Carl squeezed Luna's hand and she looked up at him, sharing a smile before the gate creaking open drew their attention. On the other side, Maggie was waiting, and Luna could see Sasha and Enid jogging over. Rick walked inside first, wrapping Maggie in a hug.

"You're okay?" Rick asked as they pulled away.

"I'm okay." Maggie nodded. "The baby's okay—all of us."

"You we're right." Rick said. "Right from the start. You told us to get ready to fight. I didn't listen, and I couldn't. But I can now." Luna looked around the Hilltop, but she froze when she saw Daryl and Jesus walking out from behind one of the trailers. Rick saw them too, and began moving towards Daryl. Michonne then moved forward, hugging Maggie. Luna began to walk forward without realizing, watching as Rick and Daryl hugged. Carl let go of her hand, letting her go by herself. Tears were pooling in her eyes as she stopped next to Michonne, who'd also walked up to where Daryl and Rick were standing. Michonne hugged Daryl first, pressing a kiss to the side of his forehead. Luna then moved forward, wrapping Daryl in a hug as her tears began to fall. Unlike the last time she'd hugged him, when he was still stuck in his cell at the Sanctuary, he hugged her back.

After they'd pulled away, Luna stepped back next to Michonne and wiped her face. She'd been so worried about Daryl but she was extremely thankful that he'd made it out of there too. Daryl wiped his face before reaching into his waist band, holding out Rick's old revolver towards him. Rick looked at him in disbelief for a moment before reaching forward and taking it from Daryl's hands.