Chapter 23

Do what your heart tells you to do... It was good advice. Peter knew it was something Pepper would tell him, but it still didn't help him much. He was the son of his father, he had a constant need to save someone. He needed to protect the people he loved. Which meant he wanted to find out what was going on at Michelle's home, but at the same time he wanted her to tell him on her own. Although their relationship lasted only a few months so far, they have already experienced a lot in that short time. He thought she believed him. And even though he assured her several times that she could tell him everything and that he would always be there for her, she just smiled weakly at him and told him she knew. And so Peter continued to be patient. But every cup of patience overflows once, and it happened to him today after school, as they stood by the lockers and get dressed.

"What if we had a movie night at your house tonight?" he suggested, and exceptionally he didn't even try to find out anything, he just was annoyed to be at home all the time. His parents often did not let him out and he would really like a change of environment.

"It probably won't work. Dad invited colleagues from work," she lied automatically.

And, of course, Peter recognized it immediately, because her heart jumped strangely, as it had so many times since she had lied to him. Peter didn't even have time to think about how cool it was he could tell by a heartbeat that someone was lying, because the only thing he'd been thinking about lately was his brunette.

"How long do you think you can lie to me? Do you think I didn't notice anything? Or do you expect our relationship won't last long enough for you to tell me about it?" he blurted out angrily before realizing his words. But it was too late now. It was outside and could not be taken back. Damn, he really had to be all the same as Dad. Impulsive idiot.

Michelle stared at him in astonishment, trying to process his words. "Peter, what's that supposed to mean?" she asked quietly. She had never seen him like that.

"Are you asking me?! Natasha said something was strange about your family, but I let it be. And then I found out that my improved hearing could tell when someone was lying by the heartbeat. Guess what I discovered with my new skill," he explained, trying not to sound too rude, but he didn't do very well. He knew he was making a mistake. He should apologize and go home to calm down. But he couldn't. Adrenaline flowed through his body. He wanted his answers.

"Are you using your abilities on me?" Her voice was firm and her face was completely emotionless. Peter was sure that if Natasha was here, she would be impressed.

"I didn't do it on purpose! It just happened, I don't control it that much yet," he whispered, but there was still anger in his voice. "It doesn't change the fact that you're lying to me."

Michelle's stone mask relaxed. She had nothing to say. Well, of course, she had. But she didn't want to. She knew Peter's family wasn't perfect, but there was a little in her eyes. Because whatever happened, they stood together. They never lost faith and hope. She liked to spend time with them because she felt loved there. She felt part of their family, and she had only been dating Peter for several months. How could she tell him the truth about her parents? After all, she hadn't even considered them a family for a long time. They didn't care about her and she didn't care about them, so why did Peter care so much?

"Forget it," he muttered when she said nothing and turned to leave.

And Michelle panicked. He was walking away from her. That couldn't happen. He couldn't leave her like everyone else. Not he. "Peter, wait!" she shouted, quickly putting on her jacket before running after him. A few students turned to her curiously. "Wait," she said again, this time in a normal voice, knowing he would hear her and she wouldn't draw more attention to them unnecessarily.

Peter didn't stop. He soon left school and was immediately struck by the January frost. How he couldn't wait for summer. But not even the cold stopped him and he continued on his way. He didn't want to talk to MJ. Respectively, she obviously didn't want to talk to him. And he had already said a lot of things that he would later regret, he didn't have to add more to the list.

"Stop, please." He heard her closer than he would like, so he sped up. He just couldn't talk to her. Fortunately, he saw a white Audi in the parking lot, so he didn't hesitate for a second and ran. But as he approached, he knew something was wrong. Nat sat in the passenger seat and Laura and Tommy in the back.

"Your ride is behind us," Natasha grinned as he ran to the car, and she pulled back the window a little to keep them out of the cold.

"I came for Michelle today," Pepper explained from the driver's seat, though it didn't give him much explanation.

He was about to ask what was going on, but someone put a hand on his shoulder. Frightened, he turned, ready to attack.

Tony raised an eyebrow at him in amusement. "Suit rehearsal, little bat. If possible, without grumbling," he told him and only now did Peter notice the other car in which Rhodey and Bruce were sitting.

"This is a really great day," he muttered under his nose and very reluctantly got into the car next to Bruce. He saw MJ approaching, so he turned his head away from the window.

"You were right, he really hates it," Rhodey laughed as Tony sat in the driver's seat.

"He obviously couldn't inherit everything from me," Tony grinned, glancing at his son. Something didn't quite suit him.

"Can we go now? I want to have it over," he lied in part. He royally fucked up. On the other hand, he thought he deserved to know the truth. If he had learned anything from his parents and Natasha and Bruce, it was that if the relationship was to work, they had to talk to each other. Maybe he should have told her about it when he figured out what was going on, but he wanted to give her time and a chance to tell him about it herself. It was probably a mistake because it just accumulated in him unnecessarily, so he had to expect it to explode one day. They were both to blame.