Living in the Shadows (T)

Living in the Shadows written by heyennbee

i. COVER & TITLE

Your cover was immediately pleasing to me. It's very detailed and intricate, with a really great overall feeling. However, I think the subtitle at the bottom is a little long. I like it, but subtitles are usually one-liner type messages with a snappy feel. A possible subtitle that I think gives the same feel, but is much shorter, is just the first part of your subtitle: No one knows what lurks in the shadows. I'm a fan of the way that looks. And lastly pertaining to your cover, the actual title is pretty small. You have the opportunity to increase that font quite a bit, which I think you should take advantage of. It might look bad, but I'd recommend just seeing how it looks if you haven't already.

I don't have any complaints about your title. It's unique and exciting but still seems to relate to the concept of the book. With that being said, 'shadows' is a word that is used a lot in titles. I could name quite a few published books off the top of my head that contains that word. That doesn't mean your title sucks, it just means it's more common than it could be. I would look out for any titles that would be even more unique.

ii. BLURB

The organization of your blurb is really good! It's short and sweet, and it tells us what we need to know. With that being said, some of the sentences there are a bit clunky. Look at what I've rewritten below:

Moving halfway across the world was supposed to mean the start of a new life for Red. With a bucket overflowing with issues, forgetting all that happened at home was the only option he had.

College was supposed to give him headaches from lectures, muscle cramps from football and hangovers from parties. But instead, people are out for his neck, he's discovering secrets of a past he never lived, and he's indulging in a romance he should've stayed away from.

Creeping back into the shadows has never been so tempting.

At first glance, it appears I've changed nothing about your blurb. But if you look closer, you'll realize I made a bunch of tiny changes to clean it up. First of all, I changed some sentences to make them flow better (at least, I think they flow better now. Perhaps that's just an opinion thing):

#1: Moving halfway across the word meant the start of a new life for Red. --> Moving halfway across the world was supposed to mean the start of a new life for Red.

This is just a tiny little change I thought would make it easier to read.

#2: With an overflowing bucket of issues, forgetting all that had happened back at home was the only option he had. --> With a bucket overflowing with issues, forgetting all that happened at home was the only option he had.