I. eight

┍━━━━━━━━━━━╝✤╚━━━━━━━━━━━┑

━━━━━━━ ✤ ━━━━━━━

Eunbyul pulled out the gas nozzle when her car's tank filled up on her money's worth. She had been driving around the city since the day began. Trying to mark down the list of possible motels Researcher Minchul could've been staying at, had left her car running empty.

She turned away from the pump and twisted the cap on the tank back closed. A deep breath let out from her chest as she locked herself inside her car at last. The stench of gasoline invaded her nostrils, though it quickly dissipated once she keyed the engine on and blasted the car's AC.

Her hands gripped the cool gray leather of the steering wheel, eyes set on her wristwatch. If she bid her time and speed right, she could check out one more motel before lunch.

The phone in her jacket buzzed with an incoming call before she had the chance to switch gears. Digging into the side pocket, she pulled out her phone and answered Chayoung.

"Where are you right now? Are you at the Plaza? Or are you with Dad? Please tell me you're close to Dad's house. I have some really bad news and I need you to-" Her sister's words ran rapidly out her mouth, urgent but Eunbyul couldn't understand why exactly.

"Oh, hey - Hey, okay slow down. Chayoung, what's going on?"

"Look," Chayoung took a deep breath on the other side of the call and relaxed before she explained, "I just got confirmation that Wusang's helping Babel; they're preparing to tear down Geumga Plaza by tomorrow."

"Yeah, I know," Eunbyul nodded, shocked that it was happening this soon, but it didn't surprise her. "Mr. Han wanted me to work on making that possible but I said no. Wait - does Dad know about this?"

"No." Chayoung scoffed and laughed bitterly at the universe and its irony as she added, "The one time I actually want to talk to him, and he won't answer his damn phone... Aish, that old man's so annoying!"

"Well, have you tried going to see him?"

"Oh no, no no." Even though Eunbyul couldn't see her, she pictured her shaking her head in defiance, "I'm not going over there to waste my time. He won't even pick up my calls! There's no way he's listening to me - but you, you can get through to him, Eunbyul."

"Ah, come on, Unnie, I'm too busy right now," she let out and protested. "You go and talk with him, I'm sure he'll listen." She eyed the list of neverending motel names she'd yet to visit, and tried to give her some sense of encouragement. "Hey, you can do this! Chayoung-ie, I believe in you!"

But they both knew it was hopeless.

· • -- ٠ ✤ ٠ -- • · 

Eunbyul rapped her knuckles on the door outside of their father's house an hour later. Borderline fuming that none of her calls had been picked up by the man on her way here. Any other day, she would've understood - Mr. Hong was a busy man after all - but today she didn't have time for anything that wasn't her work.