Silence

Where do dreams come from ? How do they form ? Are they really just part of our subconscious manifesting during sleep ? Our fears and needs ? Was it always just that ?

What if there is more to it ? What about premonitions and repressed thoughts ?

What if we connect with different realities when we dream but it feels too bizarre to believe ?

What if forgetting a dream or a nightmare hours after waking up is a defense mechanism to avoid us understanding the real meaning behind them ?

This time it was Levi whose night of sleep was plagued with abstract dreams piling one after the other to try and compete for which one would be weirder.

His sleeping expression looked way too peaceful in comparison to the warzone his head was in right now.

Don't you hate when dreams feel too real ?

His nostrils burnt with the rancid smell emanating from the brown puddles of liquid on the street floor . His skin crawled with the heavy feeling of thick unbreathable air filled with dust and flies. The clear vision of himself standing in the middle of the underground made him retch, bending forward with the sudden urge of vomiting as his bloodstream filled with adrenaline, his natural body response being the one to run but his feet were glued to the floor.

No.

They were not glued.

They were... Sinking. Upon glancing down his feet were sinking into one of those rotten puddles of fluids and just like quicksand, he couldn't even wriggle out of it.

The urge to vomit and run swirled into an awful concoction of anxiousness and blinding desperation. This finally trespassed to his physical body out of the nightmare, kicking his feet with an abrupt jerk of his muscles and a gasp that transported him back to reality.

It's almost pitch black except for the moonlight seeping through the window and it took him a second to fully comprehend where he was and the muffled noise ringing in his ears finally cleared up and it was (y/n)'s voice trying to soothe him and also try to find out if he was okay.

Sadly, this wasn't the first time she felt him jerking up in his sleep but it was the first time he seemed so out of it and... Almost... Scared.

Standing up, he excused himself into the bathroom just to turn the water on and take a midnight shower, scrubbing his skin and scalp over and over again, letting the water clean up the cold sweat and the haunting feeling of being dirty just to repeat the same process with the soap over and over.

Upon hearing the running water, she knocked on the bathroom door just to get in without even waiting for a response and without caring if her clothes got wet, she stepped in under the water to hold onto him, grasping around his wrists to stop his obsessive motions on his own skin.

For someone who didn't know him, his expression could pass as mere anger but she saw through that shell, sensing he was actually experiencing a wider variety of feelings hidden behind a facade of anger.

After long seconds of staring at each other through the droplets of water, all he could do was bury himself in his own deafening silence.

He could never put into words how much he appreciated her silent understanding and all he could do was to rest his forehead on her shoulder.

In silence.