50 || fresh start

alexa, play can't forget you by nevr know

DAY 63

Flashback of Last Night

        "You're free to go." 

        James stared in bewilderment at Stark, who had his arms crossed in front of him, just barely obscuring the faint blue glow illuminating from the round circle on his chest. The words weren't quite registering in his mind, almost as if he had imagined it instead of them being real. What was freedom like these days? There was the general definition, of course, but he had no idea what it was actually like - or at least, he couldn't remember. 

        "Free?" James repeated deliberately. 

        Tony nodded in amusement, cocking his eyebrow in James' direction as his lip lifted into a small smirk. "Or you could stay, the team could use someone like you." 

        He couldn't picture himself as one of the team, even now, James had always been more of a "stand alone" kind of guy. Surely, anyone else would be honored to be a part of the Avengers, but it wasn't something that James wanted to be caught up in forever - despite all of the hardships everyone went through to get him here. 

        As his head flicked over to glance at Amelia through the glass of the meeting room, standing outside talking with Steve, James knew that the Avengers was not where he was supposed to be. Where he was needed. There were things in his life now that took precedence. 

        "I have to decline your offer," James sighed, his eyes flickering back to Tony. "But I hope you all know that I'll be here if you need me, for anything." 

        "I like this whole changed man thing you have going on, it suits you." 

        James' lips lifted in the corners as he watched Tony's finger point at him casually as he spoke. 

        "And don't let Rose get injured again, yeah?" Stark teased faintly, reaching his hand out for a handshake. 

        "Thanks, Tony." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~