nine. nick goode

PHOENIX PEEKS FROM BEHIND the counter, squatting on her own feet. Simon, who also wanted to see what was going on, decided to do the same thing but fell on his butt instead.

"Ow," he mumbled in pain, deciding to kneel instead.

"There's someone here," Phoenix whispered, eyes turning around at every corner she could manage to. Her heart is slamming against her ribcage, and in attempt to calm it down, she bit into her lip so hard that it drew blood.

Suddenly, a thump echoed. Phoenix was about to shoot at whatever it was, but she was blinded by a white light. "Police! Hands up! Hands up! I got two over here!"

"Listen to me. You have no fucking idea of what's going on. In ten seconds, a bunch of murderers are coming here to kill you." Phoenix rushed out, keeping her hands on the floor. Simon was staring at her like she was crazy, especially since she had a lot of bad encounters at the police station in the past, but she did not care.

"Is that a threat?" The police backed closer, his gun pointed at her. "Are you threatening me, little girl?"

"She's trying to save you!"

"Yeah bitch, I'm trying to save you!"

"Drop your weapons." The policeman did not falter, the same stoic look still on his face. "Now! Drop them now!"

Phoenix let out a humorless laugh. Was he really being serious right now? "These are water-guns, you idiot!"

"If you want this to go the easy way, I suggest you drop your weapon." The police officer threatened once again, nearing the two. Simon already had his hands raised in the air, but she was stubborn. "Put your hands in the—"

Suddenly, a knife was plunged all the way to his stomach, causing the man to drop lifelessly to the ground, blood pooling out of his stomach and forming a puddle below.

"Guys! Guys, go!" Simon screamed, turning around and running away from the Skull Mask Killer, Ryan Torres, who just stabbed the cop like he was nothing. Phoenix immediately ran towards her station by B. Dalton's, ignoring the screaming and the gunshots coming from Martin and Ziggy's hiding place.

Until, she noticed the boy following after her.

"What are you doing?" Phoenix hissed in a whisper, eyes turning around to see if there was someone near that might hurt him. "Go watch over Sam! I'll be fine!"

There was a moment where Simon seemed to freeze. Then, he stepped forward and caught Phoenix in a hug, his heart-rate picked up a little bit. Turning his head, he pressed a quick kiss to the girl's cheek, which promptly reddened.

"Stay safe," There were only a few stores to guard over, so Simon was given the task of watching over the possessed girl. Phoenix nodded, keeping her hands gripped on the rope as she watched Simon jog away from her.

She could still feel the flush she tried so hard to repress in her face. Phoenix felt the strong urge to hide her face in her hands like a child. What the fuck is wrong with you? the questions were clouding her mind like an annoying small voice. Her conscience keeps on asking her why now, out of all times, would she choose to feel flustered by something as simple as that?

"Oh! Goodness gracious!"

Phoenix stood up, getting a peek of Martin who was panicking. He held the rope right, starting to hold his breath when the Milkman slowly made his way down the blood trail to the store.

She looked around once more, watching every station that was guarded. Skull Mask went across Ziggy, The Grifter for Josh, The Milkman for Martin... where the fuck was Ruby? Billy? Tommy?