8

Harlem Isaac Sullivan
July 10th
9lbs. 5oz
23 inches long

[chapter focuses around Harlem.]

"He is so handsome." Frida cooed sweetly as she held the baby in her arms. She seemed to be in love with her new grandson. Her eyes were glued on him as she softly cradled him.

Jersey pushed some air out of her nose as she laid in the hospital bed. She was exhausted from her labor and delivery. After realizing her water broke, Malcolm helped her change clothes and grabbed every important item needed. They packed inside the vehicle and arrived at the hospital. Thanks to Jersey's driver, Abel.

She didn't bother to speak. Jersey just watched Frida closely. The older woman studied the baby, trying to get acquainted with Harlem. She wore an isolation gown over her regular clothes. Germs and infections were terrible, and she wanted to protect the baby.

"I want to see his hair," Frida whispered while glancing over at the young woman.

"Go ahead...he has hair all over his body too," Jersey replied lazily before sipping on her cup of water. Her nurse was nice enough to give her a plastic container filled with ice and water.

Frida pulled Harlem's hat up and took her time observing him. Her eyes widened at the sight of his coal-black tresses. He had a headful of hair that seemed to travel around his forehead and ears. Hair was on his arms and legs too. Harlem was just a hairy baby.

"I see," Frida replied softly. "I'm sure some of his body hair will shed."

Before the conversation could continue, the door opened. Jersey assumed it was a staff member at the hospital. They couldn't seem to stay out of her room. Every hour someone would walk in and bother both Jersey and Harlem.

Relief hit her when she realized it was Malcolm. He walked inside with a brown bag. Jersey assumed it was food since she sent him out to get some. The hospital food was good, but it wasn't enough for her. She wanted a juicy cheeseburger and some crispy fries. The hospital food was all right, but it wasn't enough to satisfy her hunger.

"I'm back," Malcolm announced, stating the obvious. Immediately, his eyes went on the baby in his mom's arms. He'd been thinking about Harlem the entire time he left to get Jersey's food.

The birthing experience was something Malcolm would never forget.

The Birth

As soon as Jersey checked in, they wheeled her to the back and immediately changed her clothes. It didn't take the staff long to put her in a room.

The doctor and staff seemed lively and too bubbly for Jersey. She wasn't in the mood for the small talk or witty jokes. The pain was starting to become unbearable. She looked over at her doctor and realized she was trying to check her cervix.

Doctor Kumar instructed Jersey to spread her legs and put her feet in the stirrups. She wasted no time giving her an exam.

"Is it possible to get medicine?" Jersey questioned her as she pushed out short puffs of air. "Because I'm in pain, and it's getting worse. It almost feels like I'm being stung down there or something."

The doctor denied Jersey's request. She couldn't get the epidural. The baby was trying to crown, and there was no time to waste. She had to start pushing.

"Mm..." Jersey groaned out as another contraction ripped through her. She clenched her teeth, trying her best to fight the pain. She eased her eyes on Malcolm. He was dressed in an isolation gown for medical reasons. Jersey pushed out a shaky breath and said, "I'm scared."