Chapter 45

The Palace

A luxurious carriage stood tall in the palace. They are attending the palace for the Empress's banquet.

"Ready?" Li Zhao asked.

Walking side by side, Xu Ling Ai still hasn't get used to their new phase of relationship.

Looking up at him, she smile and replied.

"Of course. Why would I be not ready?"

She knew he is worried about her because of the whole situation between her and Empress Yi.

At first, Li Zhao insist not to attend it but Xu Ling Ai convince him that there is nothing to be worried about.

"Don't be alone anywhere inside the palace." He remind her before getting down the carriage.

Xu Ling Ai then proceed to get down. To her surprised, Li Zhao held his hand out to help her get down from the palanquin.

She happily grab his hand and smile. Heading inside, she saw people talking to each other and gather.

People murmuring when they saw both of them walking together towards their seats.

The empress is in the middle of the hall. Sitting high on her throne. She literally glare sharply at Xu Ling Ai.

"Greeting Empress Yi." Xu Ling Ai shortly curtsy then went to her seat with Li Zhao.

The guests eyeing the awkward gesture between the empress and her daughter in law.

Opposite them was Li Jun Yi and Xu Jia Wen. Li Zhi Ming sits nearby on Xu Ling Ai's sides.

"Duke Su I didn't know you have such a beautiful consort." Another country prince, Tuoba Hu who is Li Zhao's acquaintance started a conversation.

Li Zhao did not reply, instead he nodded only. Xu Ling Ai on the other side feel a bit shy by the compliment.

Unknown to them , a fuming jealous glare were shooting among the guests. He Xi Ee again attend the royal banquet since her father Minister He told her to.

Feeling unsatisfied, He Xi Er attempt to interrupt their short conversation.

"Duke Chen's Princess Consort, you look unwell. Are you fine?"

This time all the attention fall on He Xi Er and Xu Jia Wen. Empress Yi asked her favorite daughter in law worriedly, "Jia Wen if you are sick why bother to attend my banquet? It is fine you can rest."

"Your Majesty, I'm fine. Just a bit nausea and dizzy." Xu Jia Wen carefully replied looking at her husband Duke Chen.

After that night, he did not say anything to her. He just kept ignoring her.

"Princess Consort, you might want to visit a physician. Who knows you might be pregnant!" He Xi Er bluntly said.

This words instantly bring a smile on Xu Jia Wen's face but not on Li Jun Yi's.

The guests starting to congratulate them even though the news was unsure. The cunning He Xi Er planned to trap Xu Ling Ai with the same tactic.

"How about Duke Su's Princess Consort, Xu Ling Ai? Are you yet with a child?" He Xi Er slyly question in a louder tone. To make sure everyone heard it.

There was a pregnant pause for a second before Empress Yi backing up He Xi Er.

"Xu Ling Ai you have been married to Duke Su for a long time so do you have any great news to tell us?" Empress Yi intentionally pressed the topic.

Xu Ling Ai who have been daydreaming waiting for the whole banquet to be over got startled by their sudden attack on her.

She was totally caught off guard by the question. Her face starting to turn red but she try to react normal.

"Not yet. Your Majesty would be the first one to know if I happen to be with a child." Xu Ling Ai managed to reply smoothly.

But no one knows how nervous she was. Her fingers keep fiddling to lessen her awkwardness.

Glancing at him, he look the same which is calm and undisturbed. Like the question did not bother him at all.

"Duke Su you should spend more time with your consort. Lessen your work outside." Another acquaintance of Li Zhao joined the conversation. He is Gu Yue who is the same age as Li Zhao.

Hearing Gu Yue blaming Li Zhao, He Xi Er huffed angrily. She began to defend Li Zhao.

"Maybe she is the one with problem. I can introduce you to a very capable physician if you want." He Xi Er was literally indirectly indicate Xu Ling Ai as barren.

"He Xi Er watch your words." Li Zhi Ming defend Xu Ling Ai.

Li Zhao who have been silent the whole time finally spoke up. He thought they will stop talking about him and Xu Ling Ai. But it is getting worse.

Xu Ling Ai clench her hands tightly. Her anger was about to blow up when a huge hand grab hers. She look up at Li Zhao who entangled his finger with hers.

"This lord is not ready to share my wife. So stop assuming." Li Zhao deep warning voice startled He Xi Er.

The guests were quite surprised by Li Zhao defending Xu Ling Ai. That was something new.

"And please mind your words while talking about my consort." This words of Li Zhao literally slap He Xi Er on the face.

"I-I." He Xi Er stutter not knowing how to respond.

Empress Yi then quickly try to turn the cold atmosphere to a cheery one.

"Is there anyone wanted to show their talent for tonight?" Empress Yi deliberately question it.

He Xi Er who has yet given up try to appeal Li Zhao again by volunteering to play zither.

"Your Majesty, may I have the honour to play a zither for tonight?" She shamelessly said.

Empress Yi smile pleasantly and allowed her to play the zither. He Xi Er was know for her unbeatable zither melody.

The guests then proceed to feel into the melody of zither. But He Xi Er's eyes cast on one and only Li Zhao.

But Li Zhao never look at her way. He kept looking at Xu Ling Ai. He Xi Er gritted her teeth when her playing comes to an end.

"Good! He Xi Er you're really good." Empress Yi praise her.

"I can't be possibly compared to Duke Su's Princess Consort." He Xi Er faking her humble tone.

"Xu Ling Ai you should entertain this empress. You won't refuse, won't you?" Empress Yi fake smiling at Xu Ling Ai.

Everyone could see that He Xi Er and Empress Yi kept on attacking Xu Ling Ai. They feel sorry for her.

"Of course Your Majesty." Xu Ling Ai hesitantly accept the challenge. She couldn't embarrassed her husband.

Li Zhao try to stop her but she convince him to let her go. They shouldn't go against the empress.

"I might be rough but I do know how to play zither. No worries!" Xu Ling Ai winked at Li Zhao while patting his hand.

P.S.
Have y'all heard about what happen to Zhang Zhe Han?

I'm not quite understand of what happened.

VOTE and COMMENT if you like this chapter!

Thanks! 💖 - R