Chapter 36

Lahore

"Adaab Shahenshah! Gustakhi maaf! The guard said you don't want to be disturbed! If I disturb you, I'll go again! But you had ordered ... "

"Fadhil, what a surprise! No, no, you are welcome! How was the trip? We hope it was without incident! "

Ji huzoor. I rode here as fast as I could. The messengers had reported that you wanted to leave Mankot for Lahore. That's how I rode here first."

"Wonderful Fadhil! Did you bring something with you?"

"Ji, huzoor." Fadhil held the small tube out to Jalal.

Jalal's eyes started to shine as he took the small tube. He went to a chest and took a pouch of gold coins which he tossed to Fadhil. The latter caught him deftly and bowed.

„Shukriaa Shahenshah!"

"You deserve it! Did the guards let you through when you showed the seal?"

"Yes, it was very helpful Shahenshah! Here you have it back." he held out the seal to Jalal.

"Keep it! You will need it" he said with a grin. Fadhil looked at him questioningly.

"Go to the archers camp. They should give you accommodation. Show them the seal, they will know."

Jalal had already spoken to his soldier friends about the possible arrival of a comrade.

"You will stay here for the time being. You are under my direct command. Stand by until I call you! Take a rest now. You did an excellent work! Khuda hafiz!"

Fadhil left Jalal's room. He couldn't believe that he was directly under His Majesty's command. Jalal couldn't wait to open the tube. He quickly opened the lock and pulled out a small roll of paper. He impatiently unrolled it. Empty! As expected. He grinned! Now all he had to do was make the writing visible and call for Abdul. He lit a candle and began to hold the paper over the flame.

Amer

"Jodha, where are you staying so long?" her mother called impatiently. To Jodha's surprise, her father was also there.

"I fell asleep over Narayana's herbal book," said Jodha, contrite.

"Now you're here," said her father benevolently and smiled at her. "Jodha beti, we have to discuss something with you."

Jodha looked questioningly between her parents. What could they have to discuss with her?

"As you know, we have already received a lot of proposals for you," her father began to speak.

Jodha opened her eyes in amazement. "But bapusa ...!"

"Let me finish!" he said sharply.

Startled, she looked from her father to her mother. A queasy feeling crept up inside her and a lump got stuck in her throat.

"Jodha, we have always rejected all proposals so far. Also at your request. This time we cannot refuse. You know that some states have a covetous eye on Amer. Our situation is very uncertain. With this connection we would have an important ally to the north of Amer. We will accept the proposal. This time I will not comply with your wishes!"

"Who is it bapusa?" She asked calmly.

"The son of Rao Kalyan Sing - Rai Singh from Bikaner!"

Jodha bowed her head. She met Rai Singh two years ago. A know-it-all boy who didn't want anything to do with girls and had conscientiously ignored all her attempts to  converse polite with him. His contributions to the conversations with her brothers were boastful and arrogant. His long nose and protruding chin emphasized his arrogant demeanor. Her face twisted in dislike. Uninvited, a face with dark eyes and handsome features stole into her thoughts.