44. secret's out

nini had thought over multiple ways to talk to ricky. what she would say, how she would say it. but she still felt all sorts of nerves and anxiousness build up inside her with every second that passed by.

"hi ricky," she began "i-miss you. and i'm sorry for everything that's been happening to us. i'm trying to say that-i love you. and i still want to be with you..."

the girl sighed as she dropped her head on the wheel with a light thud, closing her eyes and shaking her head

"that sucks." she muttered

nini looked over at the apartment building she was parked in front of before checking the time on her gps.

six-thirty

he should be home now...

she swallowed nervously as she got out of the car, carefully making her way through the back of the building as she made her way up

nini jumped suddenly when she heard her phone ring, quickly taking it and answering the call

"hello?"

"hey neens, i really need to talk right now, are you busy?"

nini looked around her as she took a deep breath "um-i'm at ricky's building, but what's up?"

gina sighed "well, i talked to ej today."

nini stopped suddenly and raised her eyebrows "wow...how did that go?"

gina swallowed "kind of...freeing? i mean-it's just been so long since i've had something good with someone, maybe it's just time i let him go and be with who he wants to be. is it crazy? i feel like i'm going to regret it-"

"no, gi, listen." nini said firmly "what he did to you sucks. you deserve to have an epic romance with someone who loves you and cares about you. but not just that, anyone who's lucky enough to know you will tell you that you deserve all sorts of happiness in your life. and if that means letting ej go, then so be it. but don't blame yourself or prevent yourself from doing anything you want to do."

gina smiled as she held her phone to her ear and nodded "thanks neens. and everything you just said is valid for you too."

nini let out a light, nervous laugh "i'm at his hallway and my mind is going blank..."

"just tell him the truth of how you feel." gina shrugged

nini nodded "okay..." she breathed "i'm going to go now. wish me luck."

"good luck! and tell me how it goes!" gina exclaimed

"i will..." nini said nervously as she ended the call before letting out a breath "if it goes well..."

the closer she approached ricky's apartment door, the faster her heart rate was becoming.

she stopped in front of the wooden surface, nervously fiddling with her fingers as she took deep breaths before lifting her hand and knocking rapidly on the door.

nini waited for an answer but she didn't hear anything on the other side, knotting her eyebrows together in confusion before she knocked again

"u-um-h-hello?" she called as she knocked "ricky?"

looking at the entrance carpet, she lifted it slowly to take the extra key and sighed, unlocking the door.

she wasn't technically proud that she was... 'breaking in'? but she knew ricky well enough that he never delays on answering his door unless he isn't home. and why would he not be home now?

nini looked around the empty apartment, not sensing any movement or sign that he'd come home in the past few hours

"hello?" she called, closing the door behind her before she walked further inside

she felt her heart sink as she took in the familiar surroundings, memories coming back to her as a sad smile made its way onto her face.

nini walked over to the keyboard that was by the window, her fingers grazing the white keys as she pressed her thumb onto one of them before she looked over at the open book that had laid there.

she slowly took it in her hands, her mouth parting as she read the words that were written down.

she really needed to find him and talk to him about them.

nini suddenly felt her phone vibrate crazily, closing the book and tucking it under her arm as she reached for the device in her back pocket before she unlocked it, widened her eyes and opened her mouth in surprise.