Chapter 11

Billy gets ready to meet Ruby at the diner she told him about, looking forward to seeing her again after a couple of days of her being MIA. He's gone by her house a few times but neither she or Kit seem to be there and Kit and his friends as well as Jonathan, Steve and Nancy are also missing from school. He doesn't want to seem possessive but it's worrying him a little.

Susan knocks on his door and calls his name.

"Billy?" Susan calls and Billy sighs.

"Yeah, I'm a little bit busy in here, Susan." Billy replies and then there's a bang on his door.

"Open the door. Right now." His dad's voice comes through the door and Billy's stomach drops.

Billy sighs and opens his door. "What's wrong?"

"Why don't you tell us?" Neil asks and Billy looks confused.

"Because I don't know."

"We can't find Maxine." Susan says and Neil nods.

"And her window's open. Where is she?" He continues.

"I don't know." Billy says.

"You don't know?" Neil scoffs.

"Look, I'm sure she just, I don't know, went to the arcade or something. I'm sure she's fine." Billy walks back into his room.

"You were supposed to watch her." His dad follows him in and Billy pulls on a jacket.

Billy sighs. "I know, Dad. I was. It's just you guys were three hours late, and, well, I have a date with a girl that I really like. I'm sorry, okay?"

"That's why you've been staring at yourself in the mirror like some faggot instead of watching your sister?" Neil asks and Billy frowns, feeling hurt.

"I have been looking after her all week, Dad. Okay? She wants to run off, then that's her problem, all right? She's 13 years old. She shouldn't need a full-time babysitter. And she's not my sister!" Billy yells and turns off his music.

As soon as the music is off, Billy grunts as Neil pins him to the wall.

"What did we talk about?" Neil asks and Billy doesn't reply so Neil hits him.

"What did we... talk about?" Neil asks menacingly.

"Respect and responsibility." Billy replies.

"That is right. Now, apologize to Susan." Neil demands and Billy's jaw clenches for a second and he breathes heavily.

"I'm sorry, Susan." Billy mutters.

"It's okay, Neil, really-" Susan says but Neil cuts her off

"No, it's not okay. Nothing about his behavior is okay. But he's gonna make up for it. He's gonna call whatever whore he's seeing tonight and cancel their date." Neil says, letting Billy go.

Billy's lip twitches as his dad calls Ruby a whore and he has to stop himself from attacking him.

"And then he's gonna go find his sister. Like the good, kind, respecting brother that he is. Isn't that right, Billy?" Neil asks, glaring at his son.

Billy doesn't reply.

"Isn't that right?" He yells in Billy's face.

"Yes, sir." Billy replies softly.

Neil sighs deeply. "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you."

"Yes, sir." Billy repeats

"Find Max." Neil says and leaves with Susan.