07 | Death

I make my way through Valentina's family mansion, Nate had called me last night to tell me what happened at the club with Messiah

I make my way through Valentina's family mansion, Nate had called me last night to tell me what happened at the club with Messiah. I was so disappointed to hear that he left her, all she wants is to be with him.

Why Nate called me, I have no fucking clue but it seemed like he was including me in their family like Valentina seems to do naturally. When he had told me she broke down and destroyed her room, it sadden me that she's hurting like this.

She's already been through so much shit, yet she still tries to keep a level head but at some point, some people just break.

My shoes hitting the tiles echo throughout the house as I navigate through the living area to the kitchen and find her family sitting around the table eating breakfast quietly, no one speaking.

When they all look up at me at the same time, my heart misses a beat from the intensity of their gazes. Awkwardly shuffling on my feet, I walk towards an empty seat and grab a plate and stack it with some food.

Feeling the intense stares on me, I ignore them and continue to fill my plate before I hear someone clear their throat, "Xavier, to what do we owe this pleasure? I don't seem to remember inviting you here for breakfast but help yourself since you already are." Lorenzo says, narrowing his eyes.

Fuck obviously Nate didn't tell them he invited me, this is awkward.

"I invited him, Valentina can do with some more friends," Nate says, glancing at Lorenzo.

Beside me, Dom scoffs under his breath mumbling to himself but I can't quite hear what he says before he shovels eggs into his mouth.

"Friend?" Luc asks, sipping on his coffee I presume, "since when were you and Valentina friends? I don't even understand how you're here eating breakfast with us right now. Sure I wanted to do business with you but this is a family who eats together."

My heart aches when I hear the word family, all I've ever wanted was a family. I thought maybe they'd be willing to allow me into theirs but maybe I was wrong, terribly wrong.

"Xavier!" Val beams, walking into the dining room, "Don't listen to Luc, he doesn't know what he's talking about." She says walking over to me and hugging me from behind, she leans down close to my ear, "you're family." She whispers before squeezing me and letting go walking towards the fridge.

I look towards Luciano who's glaring at me, not happy his little sister disregarded him. I small smirk tugs at my lips before I sip on my orange juice.

Clearing my throat to gain everyone's attention they all look at me, "I have some news and I'm afraid it's bad," I start glancing at them all, "I have a spy on my father and they've told me Galen is making a move to have Ivan and Alec assassinated." I finish, releasing a harsh breath.

A glass smashing gains our attention, Valentina is hovering over it, looking at the smashed glass and juice on the ground. Nate abruptly stands and rushes to her, checking to see if she's okay.