act I || past

past
past; adjective
gone by in time and no longer existing

When she decided to go with Mr. Forkle instead of going back to the Lost Cities with Dex, she decided that she would forget. She would forget about the Elvin cities, about Fitz Vacker with his movie star smile, about Biana's fakeness, Dex's kindness, and sadly. She had to forget about Keefe--the person who made her feel like she belonged, who tried to comfort her because of the sliver of himself that felt like that too.

She pushed that down deep, thinking to herself that she would lock that in a box and throw away the key. Another thing came to mind them, the thing she would never forget. She wanted revenge. Revenge on those who had wronged her--not her fake friends though. That's why she was shoving them down deep, but the Neverseen, as Mr. Forkle called them. They needed to pay.

Ten days. She and Dex were tortured for ten days. Agonizing pain brought upon not one, but two innocent twelve year olds. One was because she was a freak project and the other because he was unlucky enough to be by her. Stars, it was all because of her, his screams that rang still echoed in her ears. She told herself that was another reason to shove them away. She was always one to handle things on her own--no one would get close to her and she liked that, it kept them safe.

Mr. Forkle came just in time, she was losing hope--and quickly. Dex stopped screaming a day ago and she didn't know what happened to him. She thought they killed him and she was next. When the door opened, she was expecting the same man with oily black hair to come in again and burn her, but it was an old man. It wasn't the fact that he was an old and this base was impossible to get in and out of, but it was that he was her neighbor; Mr. Forkle. He told her that all would be fine. But would it, she couldn't go back, she wouldn't be the same little girl, and she shouldn't have thought otherwise.

"Get. Dex." She gritted out, "I am sorry, Miss Foster, but I can't do that. I'm here to get you, and Mr Dizznee if time allows." That set fire to her veins, she really wasn't going to accept that Dex stayed here while she got out when it was her fault he was here in the first place.

"Stars no. You get him first, or I won't go with you." Her dry throat caused the words to sound raspy.

"Fine, any other requests I should know about?" It was like he read her mind and she chuckled, "I'd like a lot of things, Mr. Forkle. But," She stopped and looked up at him. During this whole ordeal she hadn't cried--she screamed, but never cried. "I want them to forget me." She forced the words out before she wouldn't want to say it later. He nodded grimly and told her his plan.

She would have to die.

Not literally, but no one would know she survived. She liked that plan, no one would care if she was gone, right? She had nothing to lose, Grady and Edaline canceled her adoption and Alden made his children be friendly to her. She was just a nuisance, a freak.

He left and came back dragging Dex behind him, to get a good look of my broken and deceased body. I hope you are happy, Miss Foster. He will never be the same again. He telepathically told her and if she could shake her head she would, My happiness doesn't matter, as long as he forgets me. Mr. Forkle set Dex down and gave him something, he immediately slumped. He then got up and helped get her out of the chair.

"Are you sure this is what you want, Miss Foster?" He asked in a kind voice, "You can't undo this." She stood still and was thinking about her answer when she was assaulted by memories.

"Nice job, superfreak," Garwin Chang said, after she answered the question correctly.

"Neither of us thought you were going to be the girl." It stings to know if she hadn't almost died, she would have been overlooked.

"I know, I just wish..." You could be normal, like your sister. Even her parents thought she was a freak, if they truly loved her they would understand why she was different.

"You should get back inside before the smoke gives you another one of those headaches you're always—" Mr. Forkle was the only one who truly cared. In this moment it wouldn't be so bad to just leave with him and forget.

"I see Fitz wasn't kidding about the brown eye's. Most unusual." Even Alden thought she was a freak at first glance.

"That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard," Councillor Bronte was such a gods damned jerk.  He didn't know half of what she'd been through and he judged.

"No reason to worry," Alden's favorite words, that's all bullshit. He always said that when something bad happened, but there is always a reason to worry when I'm around.

"You can keep it. It's kind of frumpy." Biana didn't even give her a chance before she went all jerk mode.

"She's just trying to get out of trouble," Her sister didn't even stop to think about her, ever. Amy was always trying to get the upper hand, to show her that she was always going to be better.

"You must be Sophie." She thought Grady and Edaline would understand me, since they lost their daughter, and she'd lost her parents. But how wrong she was, to them she was "replacing" Jolie.

"I give the new girl 6 months before they ship her off to Exillium," Stina knew nothing about her, and like Biana, they just judged.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come over after school today." She'd actually fallen for it, Biana's grand act, orchestrated by the great Alden Vacker.

"You almost died!" Edaline was so scared at that moment, it was the tipping point. She'd looked so much like Jolie they'd said, guess they couldn't even look at her without seeing their true daughter.

"'In accordance with your request, adoption proceedings for Sophie Foster have been canceled.'" How could they do this to me? She actually started to feel like she belonged, she actually loved them. How could they possibly do this to her.

"Would you like a hug while we're at it? Should I tell you 'I love you' again?" They wanted her to keep up the charade. They canceled her adoption after one hard turn, they didn't deserve to be her guardians.

"It's going to be okay. Really," Stars, she thought Biana had actually cared for her well being.

"You're going to live with them?" She'd thought Dex was supportive, he'd understand what she was going through. She thought wrong.

"She was forced to be friends with you." If only she'd known Biana was a good actress. She hated me, and there was no changing that. During that moment she felt so ashamed and betrayed. How was she so foolish, how could she not see past the lie, why had she ever thought Biana'd want to be her friend?

"What did Biana tell you?" So he had known. Of course Alden would set up his two children, one's just not good enough, both needed to like me to sell it.

"I'll go with you, there's nothing left for me with them." Mr. Forkle looked really sad when she said that, but didn't argue. He levitated Dex and grabbed her hand--gently, he winced when he saw her flinch at the touch--they walked through the light and wound up at Havenfield. Mr. Forkle placed Dex on his back and tucked something in his pocket before walking back to her. He stuck out his hand, she looked at it for a while before slowly placing her small hand in his giant ones. They light leaped away.

"I just hope this won't backfire. It will be a long road, Miss Foster, but I have every belief that you will make it." She was just so tired of everything, she wanted to be alone, she wanted to die.