twenty-one | all in this together

Chapter Twenty-One:
All In This Together

LUCY STOOD IN the wings between Ej and Adam, the latter texting rapidly on his phone, messing with his fedora as he did so. Lucy leaned into Ej who was watching intently with her when Ashlyn came up beside her twin.

"Adam," Ashlyn whispered to her twin brother.

"Yeah?" He muttered distractedly, earning looks from the two seniors stood beside him.

"You know we're putting on an actual show right?" Ashlyn continued to whisper, glancing over her brother's shoulder.

"Thanks, Ash. I'm aware," Adam replied with a small roll of his eyes. Lucy glanced up to Ej confusedly, and he only shrugged in reply. He had no idea what was going on with Adam.

"You wanna get off your phone for ten minutes then, and be part of the team?" Ashlyn retorted. Lucy faked a cough to cover her giggle and Ej squeezed her shoulders gently in a warning, although he looked down at her amusedly.

"Uh," Adam clicked off his phone and tucked it in his pocket, "yeah, sorry. Yeah."

"Forgiven," Ashlyn sighed, looking back at Nini and Ricky performing.

"Okay," Lucy breathed out uncomfortably. She looked up at Ej with a small smile and whispered, "I'm going to check on Kourt before I have to go on. Carlos is teaching her the choreography now."

"Oh jeez," Ej muttered. "That's intense."

Lucy smiled as if saying, you have no idea. She stood on her toes and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, "Break a leg out there. You've got this."

"You too, Lu," Ej smiled adoringly at her. She went to walk away again, but he pulled her back and pressed a quick kiss to her lips. Her cheeks burned as the twins looked at the two with dropped jaws, and she quickly scurried off to find Kourtney and Carlos.

"Hey! I'm here for support, where we at?" Lucy breathed out, landing next to Carlos as Kourtney looked at her anxiously.

"Hey, how's it going?" Nini breathed out as she came back stage with them, Lucy rubbing her shoulder with a small proud smile before turning her attention back to Kourtney.

"I think she's getting it," Carlos told them honestly.

"Oh my gosh, there's like a hundred parts," Kourtney pouted frustratedly.

"Yeah, that was two counts of eight, but keep drillin' it though!" Carlos tried to reassure her. Lucy shot him a small look of dismay as he walked away and looked back to Kourtney.

"I'm sure you'll kill it, babes," Lucy assured the younger girl, who only looked more upset.

"I don't know about this," Kourtney admitted, taking a seat in a chair across from Lucy and Nini.

"Oh, here. My good luck charm. Vanessa Hudgens' phone from the movie," Nini said, pulling the phone from her pocket as she took a seat across from Kourtney, Lucy standing beside her with her hand on Nini's shoulder. "Trust the process."

"But what if it's a mess?" Kourtney whispered to the two.

"What in life isn't a mess?" Lucy reminded her with a small smile. Nini nodded in agreement.