Hey There, Delilah (28)

"Why did we have to come along with you?" Rex whined, dragging his feet against the cement. I rolled my eyes, squeezing River's hand even tighter. He was actually wearing a short sleeved shirt, because I requested that he did. I didn't care if he had scars on his wrists, because they didn't matter to me. Though they were a little tough to look at sometimes, I wasn't ashamed of them. And I didn't want River to be ashamed of them, either. He had nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing at all.

"Because this is a friendly outing," I answered him, trying my best not to glare at Rex, which was very, very hard.

"No, it's a date," Rex corrected, making a disgusted face. "Why did Seth and I have to come on a date with you and River?"

"Friendly outing," I snapped, glaring at him now. I needed to get him a girlfriend or something before he exploded. Before exploded. He seemed like he really, really needed one. Like, seriously. Someone that wouldn't mind someone that talked and talked all the freaking time. But who would like that?

I'd find someone even if it killed me. It couldn't be that hard, could it? There had to be a crazy girl that would love to be with a crazy boy... right? I couldn't take anymore of his whining about how River and I were so gross all the time. Couples did the types of things that we did. It wasn't gross, it was perfectly normal. Rex was just a big baby sometimes. But I loved him for that. He still was one of my best friends. Even if he was super annoying most of the time.

"Are you not bored out of your mind?" Rex asked, turning toward Seth, who only shrugged us he buried his hands into his pockets even more.

"I don't care, honestly. It's better than hanging around school all day. And I know you're happy that you aren't at your house right now..." Seth told him, his eyebrows rising just the slightest. Hah, Rex. He caught you. Now you have to admit that you like being out with us.

Rex didn't reply, because he knew Seth was right. No matter what we were doing, Rex would always choose it over being at home. He hated his family that much. I felt bad for him because he didn't have any family support. None of the boys I was with did. That was why we were all important to one another. I was their family, and they were each other's family as well. We were a family to each other, pretty much.

"Hey there, Delilah, what's it like in New Y--"

"Shut up!" I shrieked suddenly, hitting Rex's shoulder as hard as I could without seriously hurting him. Not that I would have really minded if that happened, though. But the only thing I ended up doing was hurt my hand, not to my surprise. "I hate that song!"

"Why would you hate your song?" Rex grinned, rubbing his shoulder.

I gave him a flat look as I thought about what I should say. "It isn't my song. It's annoying. After that stupid song came out, every time I told someone my name, they'd just be like, 'Oh, from the song?' and it would be super annoying," I snapped at him, my eye twitching just a little bit. Wow... that never happened unless I was super angry or annoyed...

So I wasn't really surprised that it happened when I was with Rex.

Rex burst out laughing, tilting his head back as his laughter barked out loudly. He even clapped a couple of times. My free hand balled into a fist, and I wanted ever so much to just punch him right then. I knew that wouldn't be the best thing to do, though. I just hated that song with an absolute passion. It was just the most annoying thing on the planet to me. People always assumed that I liked it or that it was my favorite just because it had my name in it, but I absolutely loathed it. I just couldn't stand that stupid song. I didn't get why some people actually liked it. I just didn't see the appeal. And my name was in it!