XVII

Dinner that day was eaten in dead silence.

"We'll all sit in the living room and talk," Rafael announced and no one argued with him.

"Remi, Milo, would you like to say something to Casey?"

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said what I said, I just got annoyed because I was the one who forgot to lock that room. If you got shot by accident, it would be my fault. But I know that I've been acting like a dick for no reason for the most time you stayed here. Rafael invited you here, you should feel free to explore the house if you want. Sorry" Remi said. 

"Yeah, sorry" Milo added. 

Eliana could see it was not easy for them. They were struggling to finally end the hostilities that started right after Casey and I arrived at the house.

"Why do you think I want an apology from you? It was clear from the beginning you don't like me, I don't see how could this change only in a few hours" Casey said with her arms crossed over her chest. 

"Since our sister died there was no girl in this house. And then you came and started living in her room and for some reason liking you felt like a betrayal" Remi said reluctantly "It's not an excuse, I wasn't being rational"

"And we don't want to get close to you because people close to us are always in danger. Our enemies always search for our soft spot to exploit" Milo said bitterly. "Our sister was the soft spot and look what happened to her"

"You say she died in an accident?" Eliana directed her question at Rafael. She was confused.

"I didn't explain what led to this accident. Sofia was 15 when she was kidnapped by our enemies. They wanted to use her as leverage, to force us into compliance with their demands. They never wanted her dead. But Sofia managed to escape the place she was being held in. She got into the car and drove away. She must have been terrified, those idiots chased after her trying to cover up their fuck up of letting her escape, they weren't keen on facing their boss with the bad news. However, things got way worse for them. That chase ended when Sofia crashed against a truck, she died on impact "

Eliana was speechless. Jesus Christ. 

"I'm very sorry"

"We are not telling you this because we want your condolences. We are telling you so you... understand"

"I apologize for the way I acted towards you," Wait, it was Casey who said that. "I didn't like the idea of moving out, but I was acting childishly. I still hate how Rafael orders everyone around though" Casey responded to Rafael looking him straight in the eyes. Damn, she was brave.

"Nobody likes it," Remi said with amusement.

"I confirm" Milo added in an almost-serious voice.

"Right, me too" Eliana agreed with all of them.

They all waited for Rafael's reaction, he looked at us with no expression on his face.

"If I started to say what I don't like about you all, we wouldn't get out of here until tomorrow," he said, and he was completely serious too. Ouch. 

"So what now? Truce" Milo suggested "We act like idiots sometimes but we don't mean it in a bad way"

"Speak for yourself, I do mean it in a bad way, I am bad," Remi said, his voice serious but it was clear he was joking. 

"Okay, we all have flaws, some people have more flaws than others and then there's Remi who is just the worst" Milo rolled his eyes,

"But I compensate all that with my great looks"

"You mean - a sense of humour because you must be joking" Milo corrected.

"I didn't mean that at all but I am glad you recognize how funny I am"

That round was won by Remi. 

But in a way, the whole household won today because they finally spoke sincerely and they all hated each other a bit less than yesterday. 

Which was really good, because Eliana and Rafael were getting married tomorrow.

🌹🌹

Hi guys,

I hope you like it. I didn't have much time to write today