01

Catalina

"Your usual?"

"Yes thank you" I smile at Cassandra, She works here. I don't know her very well, but I come here often.

She walks off to make my drink. Like i already said, i come here often. I like to be among people, it's better than sitting at home alone. The waitress brings my chocolate milkshake "Can I give you something to eat?" I shake my head with a smile "No thanks".

I notice that there is a girl sitting alone. I grab my milkshake and walk to her table, "Can I join you?" She looked around to see if this was a joke, a little unsure of what to say. "Yeah sur-" I sat down before she could finish her sentence.

"Are you new here? I've never seen you here before" I take the straw of my milkshake between my lips. Am I the only one who always bites on straws?

"Yes, I just moved." She nodded.

"Where do you come from?"

"From New York" Enthusiasm jumped into my eyes "Really! I've always wanted to go there" She laughed at my response "You should".

"I like your dress" It's a beautiful purple color, it fits well with her green eyes. "I like your shirt" I look down at my shirt, it's just a white crop top.

"Do you do this often?" I frown, what does she mean? "Sit with people you don't know." I closed my lips around the straw, causing it to fall back into the glass. "Not really, but you seemed like a nice person. And you sat alone"

I occasionally talk to an older man who often sits here as well. His wife has died and I always feel bad when he sits alone. Older people sometimes just like being able to tell their story to someone. They usually just need someone to listen, even if it's hard for me because I like to talk.

"I'm Catalina, Catalina Garcia" I don't know why I said my last name, but it sounds better. "Lana" she replied shortly. The name suits her well, I rather estimated her as Ella or Amber. But Lana is okay too.

"How old are you?" She still looks very young. And by that I mean the age to go to school, I'm so glad I'm out of that phase. "Twenty" Oh "We have the same age"

I looked confused, I hope I'll still look good when I'm fifty. Imagine that at fifty you still look as good as you did at twenty. Wasn't there a movie made about it? I think so.

"You look younger, I thought you still had to go to school."

She started laughing "No no I already graduated." I open my mouth to say something but closed when my phone rang.

"I hope you have a good excuse this time" Shit I look at the time.

"I um I sprained my foot and that's why it's taking  a little longer." Lana raised an eyebrow and looked at me. "I know when your ly-" I hung up.

I threw my head back "Was it a believable excuse?" She tilted her head to one side. "Uh-"

"I have to go, I'll talk to you later Lana!" I ran out of the cafe.

I really need to come up with better excuses. The "I had to drown my goldfish" and "My cat died" were no longer believable. I've even used the cat excuse so much that people replied "Again?" The people who really know me, knows I hate cats, Sorry not sorry.

I walk into the bookstore out of breath. "Your foot doesn't look sprained." Isabelle looks at me waiting for my other excuse.

Isabelle is my best friend, and my only one except for Lana that i just met. I've known her for a very long time, I don't understand why she stays friends with me. I can be really annoying sometimes.